Sign in to follow this  
Centurion

1958 Buick Wells Fargo at Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, March 13 - 15

Will anyone here be attending the Concours?

Over the years, there have been many questions on the forums here regarding the 1958 Buick Wells Fargo that was built for Dale Robertson, who starred in the "Tales of Wells Fargo".

I note that the car will be displayed at the Concours, and hope that some of our Buick folks will be on-hand to capture some excellent photos and information about this Buick, which seems to have been hidden from public view during recent years.

I will be at Amelia island this year. I will be on the lookout for it.

This is fantastic! I would love to see some current photos of the car.

I remember it showed up in the car corral at Carlisle PA many years ago---never saw or heard of its fate since then.

West, thank you so much for sharing that article about Joe Bortz and the Wells Fargo. What surprises me is that, even during the 1990's, this car was not commanding higher prices at the auctions. The simple fact that it's a '58 Buick Limited convertible makes it very special, and its unique features and fascinating history should make it all the more valuable.

I found myself wishing that I were the guy who had let the Milwaukee Buick dealership know in 1990 that I wanted the car!

Not to change the subject but Joe Bortz will be bringing the Wildcat I to the BCA national meet in Springfield Mo in June. Its always good to see these special cars come out from time to time

Chuck

I presume this car was never made available to the public? Did the thing really come with real guns?

I finally located some photos of the Wells Fargo at Amelia Island. Enjoy! Did anyone see it first-hand?

58_Buick-Limited-Conv_DV_15_AI-08.jpg

58_Buick-Limited-Conv_DV_15_AI-07.jpg

wells-fargo-front.jpg

58_Buick-Limited_Conv-DV-15-AI-i001.jpg

58_Buick-Limited_Conv-DV-15-AI-i002.jpg

58_Buick-Limited_Conv-DV-15-AI-001.jpg

58_Buick-Limited-Conv_DV_15_AI-02.jpg

3-58%2BWells%2BFargo%2Binterior%2B-%2BBortz.jpg

58_Buick-Limited-Conv_DV_15_AI-03.jpg

Brian,

Thanks for posting these pictures! :):)

I indeed enjoy them.

Did I miss where she has been resting all this time?

He / they have to be proud and happy owners.

OK Buick people: I spy a resemblance to vinyl pattern of the 63 Le Sabre wagon interior. Mitch

Did anyone notice that the the two pictures of the steering wheel have different colored "cheap" steering wheel wraps? Other wise, it's a really neat icon. (Can I use that word - neat?)

Ed

Guest my3buicks

It is so great to finally after all these years get to see some fantastic pictures of the WF and not the tease pictures we have looked at for years.

Brian: Thanks for posting the pics. Great to see the car still lives. Anybody notice the shift quadrant looks like it's been converted to a Twin Turbine Dynaflow. Hope the owner keeps the car in view.

Brian: Thanks for posting the pics. Great to see the car still lives. Anybody notice the shift quadrant looks like it's been converted to a Twin Turbine Dynaflow. Hope the owner keeps the car in view.

Yes, Dave, I noticed this also, and was a bit disappointed that the car's original Flight Pitch is no longer in place.

OK Buick people: I spy a resemblance to vinyl pattern of the 63 Le Sabre wagon interior. Mitch

Mitch, you're right about this, and it made me wonder whether Ionia Body Mfg. had performed some of the custom work for Buick on this car.

Yes, Dave, I noticed this also, and was a bit disappointed that the car's original Flight Pitch is no longer in place.

Devils advocate here. With that 'change' how do we know it is the original. Just saying.

Ben

Devils advocate here. With that 'change' how do we know it is the original. Just saying.

Ben

Ben, I don't know for certain, of course, about this car's original transmission. But I believe that the Flight Pitch was standard equipment in all 1958 Limiteds and Roadmaster 75's. Since the Wells Fargo is a slightly customized 1958 Limited, I think that it most likely had the Flight Pitch transmission when originally delivered to Dale Robertson.

How late in 58 was the car built? It could also easily have been involved in the ol' flight pitch-to-twin turbine swap early in its life. I like the power vent windows and later model interior door handles...and rear seat speaker (although it doesn't really look like a speaker grille).

Good points Adam.

Both my Limiteds and the Roadmaster do not have the Flightpitch tranys so knowing there was switchs made obviously the Wells Fargo had it done at some time. The vin number would be interesting to read.

So, Doug and Adam, did Buick discontinue use of the Flight Pitch at some point during the course of the 1958 model year and begin using the Twin Turbine in these cars?

Or, would any '58 Limited with a Twin Turbine have been converted sometime after the car's original delivery?

Good question. Since the "Triple Turbine" was still going on in 59, I guess that theory doesn't hold water. My bet would be that this car suffered the same fate as many of the other Flight Pitch equipped cars. Once the trans went bad, in went a standard Dynaflow.