Sign in to follow this  
Paul Dobbin

Young hobbiest needs a hood

Help a beginner in our hobby needs help

A friends son has joined the ranks if our hobby recently with the purchase of a 1951 Ford Victoria. A young family guy with two young children, he's got his family involved in parades, car stuff and the hobby. Now he needs help and wrote to me.

He is located in Louisiana

His email to me:

"Hey Mr. Paul I have a question. I was wondering where I could possibly find a new hood for my car. While I was driving home, my hood was not latched and it came up and bent pretty badly. The hinges look like they are still in good shape but the hood doesn't look so good. I figured you would know where to find someone dealing with 51 Ford car body parts. I can put it on and all that . I just need to find one.

Thank you

Brett"

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I'd suggest repairing the damaged hood. Replacements should be easy to locate but may be expensive. How bad is the damage?

Have him look in Hemmings News, andkeep an eye on ebay. There are still some junkyards around to make inquiries to.

Likely the repair costs will not exceed buying a replacement and you know the original fit ( maybe the latch didn't ) ! Wayne

I kinda sorta have to agree with the above replies.

What might not "look so good" to him might be a piece of cake for a body shop...... :)

A hood is difficult and expensive to ship. Isn't there ant salvage yards around?

One thing he is about to find out is that to be part of this hobby, it costs money and lots of it. To find, pay, ship, refinish and instal will not be cheap. Better to get a backyard. Mechanic to fix the damaged part and paint it for $300 or $400 dollars. And start saving now for the next unexpected occurrence !

Wayne

Are the 51/50 hoods the same ?

A good option could be a road trip for the kid. It will teach him a lot about the hobby and he could get a parts car. One in Laredo Texas and he could make a weekend out of it if he decides to stay overnight or take a buddy to help with the driving for a long day haul. Or, he could maybe call the guy to see if he's willing to part it out ?

The hood looks pretty straight http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4834255334.html

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

the 50 is different than the 51. Just had a friend have the same problem. some one worked on the car. He was driving home without checking to see if the hood was latched and it blew up. I think he found a 50 hood in Texas.

Greg

Hey, this is a new guy. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. As a new collector, the first thing he has to do is build a bigger garage and workshop. It probably should have air conditioning and of course, proper lighting. Then there is the matter of collecting the proper tools. . .

I had this experience a whole lot of years ago now. You have to make sure those hood latches are really latched. Even when working great they don't always latch. The '51 hood is different from the '50 as the '50 has the relief for the grille center bullet, and if memory serves the angle on the front of the '51 is tighter. I agree with the above guys who said repair it. If the job is done right it will be as good as a replacement with all the time and cost involved.

Dwight, Let's not scare the stuffins out of the kid yet. This can all be done in-----------how long have we been at this? The money tree I planted decades ago now finally set money this year to bad it's a Dollar Tree.

Hey, this is a new guy. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. As a new collector, the first thing he has to do is build a bigger garage and workshop. It probably should have air conditioning and of course, proper lighting. Then there is the matter of collecting the proper tools. . .

????? Wayne

LOL.. It has taken me 40 plus years to gather many tools. Now for a better Shop and Lighting.. Must be doing something wrong for it too take this long. :P Guess I should have been a banker, or Stock Broker.. Of course, my old man said the only kind of stock he has ever dealt in was live stock. Never figured on having any other kind of stock. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Wayne, it is supposed to be funny.

No slight intended, I just did not understand ! My apologies. Wayne

I had this experience a whole lot of years ago now. You have to make sure those hood latches are really latched. Even when working great they don't always latch. The '51 hood is different from the '50 as the '50 has the relief for the grille center bullet, and if memory serves the angle on the front of the '51 is tighter. I agree with the above guys who said repair it. If the job is done right it will be as good as a replacement with all the time and cost involved.

I had a friend way back when who had a 49 or 50 Ford mildly customized by patching the center cutout of the hood with some creased metal so the bottom went straight across. finished with a bar grille and trim from Whitneys. It looked good but I wondered why he didn't just get a 51 Hood. The yards were loaded with them back in the 60s. I never knew the angle was different.

50 Ford (Crestliner). The hood's the same on the 49 but F-o-r-d letters above the bullet instead of the shield. The wings are added or they might be a Crestliner feature.

50-Ford_Custom_Deluxe-Crstlnr-DV-07-MBA_01.jpg

No slight intended, I just did not understand ! My apologies. Wayne

No need to apologize Wayne. I didn't take it as a slight but rather a miscommunication on my part. Dwight

Whoa Now. Don't be sendin this Young Fella off into the Hood. I hear tell it can be a ruff place to hang around. All sorts of illegal activities there abouts. :eek: Dandy Dave!