Another Riviera Questionn Olli

lrlforfun

I know the differences between the '63 and '64, but not what you're looking for. I know that the water temp valves are different. '64 is manual and '65 is vacuum. That could make some difference. I'm using the heater box and fan from a '65 on my '64, and they both use the same STV valve and compressor. I've got the controls for the '65 but I've never compared them. I'll take a look when I get to the shop one day next week and see if there's any differences that are obvious.

Ed

I know the differences between the '63 and '64, but not what you're looking for. I know that the water temp valves are different. '64 is manual and '65 is vacuum. That could make some difference. I'm using the heater box and fan from a '65 on my '64, and they both use the same STV valve and compressor. I've got the controls for the '65 but I've never compared them. I'll take a look when I get to the shop one day next week and see if there's any differences that are obvious.

Ed

The `65 unit has an additional port for the vacuum controlled heater control valve.

Tom Mooney

I just replaced my vacuum lines. Six with a cable for the temp control valve. The next question. Is the only difference in the control unit the number of ports on the vacuum distribution block? Are the units interchangeable if you use the correct years vacuum distribution block?

Ed

I was at the shop today putting a dual reservoir master cylinder on the '64. I got out the '64 a/c controls and the '65 a/c controls and took pictures of them. They DO NOT interchange. The number of vacuum ports is different and it's not something that can be swapped out.

1964 controls post-50017-143142970941_thumb.jpg compare the ports in the lower left corners

1965 controls post-50017-143142970946_thumb.jpg

1964 is the 'dirtier'one post-50017-143142970934_thumb.jpg

the opposite side is the same post-50017-14314297095_thumb.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

You can interchange them if you change the vacuum plumbing. I did this on my 64 when I put in a 65 head to match a vacuum heater valve. Best to put new lines in because the 64 lines won't reach the spots on the 65 head. Unless the head is in better shape I wouldn't bother with the swap, they look the same and with the swap info on the ROA website you can get the vacuum valve working with the 64 head.