Colpitts

looking to find the value of a 1922 Auburn

post-106417-143142962706_thumb.jpg

It's my Fathers and used to be my Grandfathers. It's been in a heated garage for the last 40 years that I know of, has around 19,000 miles and runs. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan

post-106417-143142962684_thumb.jpg

post-106417-143142962693_thumb.jpg

post-106417-143142962701_thumb.jpg

Don't know the value, but that's a really nice car. The picture's a little fuzzy from the side view, but it appears to be one of the best top jobs I've seen on a 20's car.....good luck with value and sale, if that's the ultimate goal...

Is that a fixed top? I think they called them California tops. No idea on value. Nice car.

Fixed top and that's the name my Father called it too, California top. The pictures are a bit fuzzy, my Dad isn't the best with cameras and computers. I'm going to see what I can do to get some other pictures up, he's in upstate NY with the car and I'm in Florida so its not easy sometimes. The car was painted back in 54 or 55 but beside that not much else has been done to it. He used to take it to shows when I was a kid but hasn't done much beside run it every so often since.

Thanks

I'll make a wild guess. An urns are very good cars, although 1922 is not a hot year for many cars....some great cars were built, but the period from 1916 to about 1928 is a slight gray area in car collecting....not pre- 1916 brass cars, and not the styling years which began in 1928....

But, it's an Auburn. My feeling is that, with a decent restoration, that car would be worth $35k or so. As it sits, with an older restoration, I believe $16-18k is top dollar for the car, and even that may be strong.....

Remember, my opinion.....

We had a 22 Chalmers in similar condition that sold for 20k

That might be a good reference point, the Chalmers is a very similar looking car, although the name Auburn might be more recognizable. Both are six cylinder cars with typical styling of that period.

I don't know much about Auburns of this period but I notice it has an overhead valve engine. According to information I have Auburns only used an ohv (3.25 x 5 - 250 cid) engine in 1923 and 1924 and it was built by Weidely. Most of Auburn's other models in that period used side valve Continentals.

Some additional picturespost-106417-143142969363_thumb.jpg

This are not the best pictures. My Dad doesn't have a computer or a digital camera so its take pictures and send them to me to put on here.

post-106417-143142969064_thumb.jpg

post-106417-143142969076_thumb.jpg

post-106417-143142969346_thumb.jpg

Such a nice looking car....I'm now leaning to 20k+, you should post this on the ACD club forum.

Thanks, I wish he still had his 31 Cadillac, now that was a sweet car. Took a old girlfriend to a prom in. But that was sold long ago now. I'll post over there and see if anyone can help. Thanks

Such a nice looking car....I'm now leaning to 20k+, you should post this on the ACD club forum.

The problem is most of the ACD club members are not on-line. Posting a picture on the ACD site is difficult at best. Some kind of picture hosting service is required.

Since the rules have been relaxed on this buy / sell forum, I would post the pix here, sans price.

The problem is most of the ACD club members are not on-line. Posting a picture on the ACD site is difficult at best. Some kind of picture hosting service is required.

Since the rules have been relaxed on this buy / sell forum, I would post the pix here, sans price.

I thought I was the only one that found the ACD site hard to use and load photos to. Glad to know it's not just me.

Rumor has it that the ACD website will be updated this summer.

engine is a 6 cyl Continental Red Seal engine. So then is the OHV engine in this car correct?

Rumor has it that the ACD website will be updated this summer.

engine is a 6 cyl Continental Red Seal engine. So then is the OHV engine in this car correct?

According to information I have the side valve 224 cid Continental 7R was used 1920 to 1922. For 1923 and 1924 their lower price model 6-43 used a 195 cid side valve Continental and the upper price model 6-63 used the Weidely Model R overhead valve six. From 1925 they mostly (with some exceptions) used Lycomings. It was about then that Errett Cord became involved and I think it was he who began the Lycoming connection and revitalised the company. I guess that this ohv model is not very common as Auburn only sold about 15,000 cars total in the early 1920s and I guess the majority would have been the Continental sixes. As usual of course just because something is rare does not necessarily mean it is more valuable.

Re 'Red Seal' I don't know enough about Continental to know what is a Red Seal and what is not. It seems to be a name that has stuck and is used for any Continental engine.

The car is correct and original. It was painted back in the 50's but nothing else. Been in a heated garage with a cover over her.

I don't have my book of serial numbers any more but going on info I have this car is a 1923 or 1924 Model 6-63. I guess it could have been built, sold and titled in late 1922. One thing that might help is finding the casting dates on the main components.

hi, engine is a 6 cyl Continental Red Seal engine. would be curious if the car has the original top bows prior to the California top and when repainted in the 50s if painted the original color...thanks

My Dad says he has all the original bows and he isn't sure if it was repainted the original color.