1930 Ford Model A Sedan Exhaust manifold Clamp insufficient

Guest robo0352

Guest robo0352

Hello,

I have a 1930 Ford Model A Murray body Fordor sedan. I am having issues with the exhaust not staying attached to the manifold. Does anyone know of an alternative clamp that will work? The flaring on the pipe is small and inefficient. I can't find a alternative clamp. With the searching I have found, Aries Limited has a muffler system with the appropriate size flaring. I have the small aftermarket flange on my exhaust and the flange is too small and the clamp does not clamp on it well. The pipe slips out no matter how tight I get the clamp. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am trying to keep the cost down without having to spend $200 on a new system. I have attached a picture to show the differences in the flanges from Aries Limited site.

post-106176-14314296203_thumb.jpg

Try a new clamp. Some of the reproductions made years ago do not have the correct inside diameters (ids). The clamp was originally made with two different ids-one for the muffler and one for the exhaust manifold. Also, like Gary says, you might have to have the muffler taken to a muffler shop to increase the flare.

I had to use a small piece cut from sheet asbestos to put inside the clamp to keep mine from falling off back in the 60's - just a narrow strip placed in the lower part of the clamp. The right way is to have a muffler shop expand the pipe or try to find an original - the reproductions are "iffy".

On some repro pipes the problem lies with the angle of bend in front of the muffler. This error causes the exhaust pipe to not mate correctly with the manifold. Also , there have been instances were the manifold down tube warps away from it's original position. I had a similar problem with leakage at that connection. I had a short piece of pipe made that fit up into the manifold and down into the exhaust pipe which then closed off the leak. I think the "A" suppliers carry a pipe for this purpose now. An incorrect bend can be remedied by heating the exhaust pipe and bending it to the correct angle. Make sure too, that you purchase a good quality exhaust clamp as some of the older parts were just plain junk!

One of the suppliers makes a tube that goes inside the manifold and the pipe, with a reduction in it, I believe at the pipe. Some say they burn out and/or impede exhaust flow but I used one with no issues. Getting the clamp on right side up, and using a good original will go a long way towards solving the issue. I drove my "A" a fair amount and got tired of vibration, bumps, etc. knocking it out of whack just enough to blow out the little asbestos patch so I installed the tube and had no more issue. Also, you likely know this already but don't be afraid to get it tight - I let it heat up and retightened a couple times. If I remember right the bolts are lightweight so they don't rust in place.