1936 buick Model 41 upholstery question

rlcokc

Trying to complete the interior of my backseat and on both sides there is a tar like cardboard under the armrest going to the floor next to the seat which is torn and out of shape. We do not believe it can be saved and will need to fabricate a replacement if not salvageable. The piece supports the arm rest as well as providing a place to tack the cloth next to the seat itself. I do not have photo as my upholstery guy has both sides trying to figure it out.

Part of the problem in repair is finding anything that will adhere to the surface of the old material so as to reform it. Would like to know of any suggestions for repair of the present piece or source if reproduced, which I don't think it is, or suggestions on how we might fabricate a replacement. If my description doesn't describe in enough detail let me know and I will arrange to get piece and post photos-I know what I mean not just sure I have done a good job explaining. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

I contacted them and they do not make that panel and found my emails from August 2005 when I ordered the kit from them and found that I asked about that panel back then. Time certainly does fly. By the way I was initially told that the panel did come with kit but they would not sell it individually and panel kit cost was around $3500.

If any ideas out there as to how to skin this cat would appreciate input. Thanks

Rod

You can buy liner board from many sources. I assume that you are concerned about the curvature needed to fit in place. Cut the liner board a little large than the needed, spray the back of the board with water and and push the board into place a block it until the board dries out and it will hold the shape. You can add clips for mounting the board to the car body. Cover the board with your upholstery material, mount the arm rest.

Bob Engle

They sold me the front door panels alone for my 38-41 in 2007. Not cheap, but definitely less than $3500. If other solutions don't work out, maybe worth giving them another call? Good luck!

I contacted them and they do not make that panel and found my emails from August 2005 when I ordered the kit from them and found that I asked about that panel back then. Time certainly does fly. By the way I was initially told that the panel did come with kit but they would not sell it individually and panel kit cost was around $3500.

If any ideas out there as to how to skin this cat would appreciate input. Thanks

Rod

Bob

Sent PM as not sure what liner board is.

suchan-they don't make the panel I need and I was going to tell them that I had ordered everything for my 36 they offered and they failed to send the panel but I was told they do not manufacture it and didn't in 2005. I had hoped I could talk them into providing/selling just the panel but since they don't make didn't matter. I also have been told that the company has changed hands recently-since 2005-and not as consumer friendly as they used to be. Thanks for response.

Rod,

I've attached a picture from my 1936 Series 41. Mine are reasonably complete, but I don't know how much life is left in them. I worry that they won't survive recovering and use. Maybe you could use fiberglass and build one up using the old one as a base? Just a thought.

Greg

post-36877-143142965314_thumb.jpg

post-36877-143142965309_thumb.jpg

they look better than mine. Mine have actually fallen apart. Bought some 1/2" hardware cloth and plan to beat to conform to shape of body/wheel well and use fiberglass to make a form of the area. Part of the issue is how to attach as I don't want to make hoses in the metal but think I should be able to adhere to body. Out of curiosity I seem to see remnants of attachment on your tar/felt paper showing attachment. Could you tell me how the originals were attached to body. I thought it was just by the tar adhesive I found on the body.

If the fiberglass molding works OK will attach or fabricate for arm rests. Still may use the panel board and local upholstery has as well as closed cell foam. In addition I have a guy helping with interior and he has my beat up panels and he is still trying to figure out a way to repair. Thanks for response and positing photos.

Rod

Rod,

Here's a couple of more pictures from the other side and the interior without upholstery. There's not a whole lot of attachment points. As you can see there is a wooden "wedge" that sits under the arm rest. This piece is attached to the tar paper and then is attached to the fender well with a screw. There likely was a small hole at the top of your fender wells that a small wood screw was used to attach the arm rest. At the floor level towards the rear of the seat bench there is a metal tab attached to the floor about 3/8 inch from the fender well. The bottom of the upholstery piece slides between this and the fender well. I haven't seen any attachment points at the lower front. I think the piece is mostly held in by the seat cushion. It also doesn't appear to sit right on the fender well. I think there is and inch or so gap between the fender well and upholstery piece. The hole that looks like an attachment point is where a nail/rivet was used to attach the fabric to the tar paper. They're also used along the rear edge.

Hope this helps.

Greg

post-36877-143142969461_thumb.jpg

post-36877-143142969453_thumb.jpg

post-36877-143142969457_thumb.jpg

Greg,

You have done a lot of wood work on our Buick! I was going to replace the vent window seals on mine, but after figuring how much I had to tear apart of my original stuff decided to let well enough alone. The old rubber is cracked, but still intact.

Tom