Opening windows with straps on '22 coupe

Guest 22Coupe

Guest 22Coupe

Does anyone here know how to open the back windows on a 2 door 1922 coupe?

The windows have a strap to raise them once down, but I can't figure out how to

get them down. There is also 2 small taps, 1 in each corner at the top of the

window. Can't figure out their purpose either as nothing wants to move.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

My car is in winter storage right now - although the ground isn't snow covered - so I am working off a frequently faulty memory.

There should be a knob under the middle of the window. Loosening it will allow you to put slack in the strap. You can then lower the window using the corner tabs. When the window is as low as you want it to go, take up the slack, and tighten the knob. If the window doesn't want to drop with slack in the strap, it may be that the wood frame has swelled and the window is binding.

I picked these rear quarter window locks on eBay last year. They are in good operating condition and I believe they will fit on my 1922 Model 48. I have posted the photo showing where they are located on the interior of the car. Can somebody out there explain to Gary and myself just how the strap helps to lower the window glass but does not touch the glass as it is going down at the same time with the spring loaded 'shoe'? Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansaspost-56463-143142971284_thumb.jpg

post-56463-143142971255_thumb.jpg

post-56463-143142971266_thumb.jpg

post-56463-143142971275_thumb.jpg

Just a guess.......... the strap helps raise and lower the window.

The brass looking foot locks it in the up position. The shoe with the spring might be something that puts enough friction on the glass so it can be held in a part way up or down position.

What do I know, I only work on Reattas

Mark beat me to it.

I think I would also hang on to the strap when lowering so the window does not 'get away from you' and fall quickly.

And, while I'm at it, from a Model 45 Touring guy; what the heck are windows for? Some sort of fancy side curtain? (Don't have any of thoes either) ;)

Mark beat me to it.

I think I would also hang on to the strap when lowering so the window does not 'get away from you' and fall quickly.

And, while I'm at it, from a Model 45 Touring guy; what the heck are windows for? Some sort of fancy side curtain? (Don't have any of thoes either) ;)

And if you are wondering what a side window is, what is a window on a truck?

post-44099-143142972049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

I agree with Barney, the brass foot is to lock the window in the up position. I was wondering if the bottom sprung loaded shoe is a lock that prevents the handle being turned when the window is down. as the window could be broken if this is turned. Just an idea.

Guest 22Coupe

Just to clarify, on a coupe there is no handle to turn for the rear quarter windows. In fact I don't think there is even the mechanism that is pictured in Terry's photos. I have a '22 Model 36. There is on back seat, just a rear deck at the top of the seat back. Now I have not been in or even seen the car in 3 months due to the snow, but I will try this weekend. All this info is interesting to say the least. I have been unable to lower or completely raise these rear quarter windows since I got the car nearly 3 years ago. I never really spent any time trying to figure out why as there was always something more important to do first, second and third. The windows are about a half inch from the top and if you try to push them up all the way, they both go to the top, but fall back down that half inch. That's a half inch exposed air and about another quarter inch inside the wooden frame for a total of about three quarters of an inch. Food for thought.

Gary

I recall a racing Porsche from the '50's that had a leather strap, with holes like a belt. A small stud was on the inside of the door. You pulled the leather belt and the window went up and you hooked the belt to the stud to keep the window up. You lowered the window with the same strap and could stop in inbetween up and down by using other holes in the strap. This great innovative design was to save weight.

I think Rod figured this mechanism out. The spring loaded 'foot' or 'shoe' does lock the knob from being turned when there is pressure on it. The only thing that I just quite haven't got figured out yet is the position of the shoe. It would have to press right up against the glass any time the window is lowered by virtue of its position in the window opening. You guys are something else in figuring out how these old vehicles worked back in the day.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Guest 22Coupe

Well, I was able to get out and briefly look at my car (very cold here). The seat back is in line with the middle of the rear quarter window. So, there is no mechanism of any kind. The strap you only see at the bottom of the window and is then folded down and tucked between the side of the seat back and the body. I did not attempt to pull out the strap as I thought there maybe a hook of some kind holding it and it is just too cold here right now. From what I see on the web is there are several different kinds of Buick coupes. There are 2 door coupes with 1 seat, 2 seats, and also with the passenger seat recessed. I have also, seen coupes with full rear quarter windows with suicide doors. My Model 36 has half size rear quarter windows and regular opening doors. I have only come across one other Model 36 to date and that was for sale on eBay and the dealer who had it was only interested in selling it, not talking about it. It appears most people back then wanted the Model 46 which I think has the larger rear quarter windows too.

Cheers,

Gary