Unidentified coach body

Guest Pontiactree1

Guest Pontiactree1

I was told this is a 1924 model T industrial barrel, but I think it's a coach body from the 1910's

its on a model T frame ,body is original but modified in 1968, looking for any information or comments

post-106376-14314296092_thumb.jpg

Guest AlCapone
I was told this is a 1924 model T industrial barrel, but I think it's a coach body from the 1910's

its on a model T frame ,body is original but modified in 1968, looking for any information or comments

What is an Industrial Barrel ? Wayne

Guest Pontiactree1
I really don't think it is an old build. It just seems very contemporary to me. The seat, the inappropriate wheels, the wooden running boards etc. aren't things the early speedster builder would have used. I still feel the body is home brewed

Yes the wheels, fenders and headlights we're put on in 1968 but the body and frame plus wood firewall and wood frame to body all look like they are from the time period

Guest Pontiactree1

Could be something home built in the 1915-17 era, just looking to see if anyone ever seen a build like this

i am very happy to hear all your thoughts, I have rebuilt model A's and can see the work on the body seems to be Model T era

4 Wheel bolts. VW Bug wheels? Take more up close photos, Specially with the hood off. Dash, ect. Looks so 60's or 70's Dune Buggy, T bucket sort of cross. Something built for a Circus clown car. Dandy Dave!

I don't want to ridicule it, but it looks a bit like Donald Duck's car

Now that's a carnival act of Epic Proportions. Disney does build some old looking vehicles on a modern chassis. I remember when I was at WDW in Orlando around 1974 the fellow driving the Fire Truck on main street said it had a modern AMC-Jeep undercarriage under the newly built teens looking body. Dandy Dave!

Wish as you might you aren't going to turn this into something it's not. It's a cobbled together creation with few if any period parts other than maybe the steering wheel and column. Maybe the cowl was originally from a T but likely this was all created in 1968 or thereabouts. It's certainly not a coach built anything. Sorry to burst your bubble.

The engine has the exhaust on the wrong side for a "T", the transmission lever is for a sliding gear transmission, the handles on the hood are from a hardware store, but the fire wall looks like it is from an early home made speedster.

The sheet metal work looks like it may have been built for a Mr. Roger's episode.

The more I look at it, the more convinced I am that it's a made-up thing much like the others have said they've seen at Disney. A new-ish creation designed to be reliable and easy to service, but still have an old-fashioned look for parades and stuff like that. Probably lots of crude fabrication under the skin, an industrial 4-cylinder flathead engine of some sort, and basic suspension and brakes. It never was anything and was never intended to be more than a prop for people who don't look too closely at such things. Probably fun to use in lieu of a golf cart for getting around, but not something with any value to collectors. Maybe not quite along the lines of one of these, but something similar that doesn't need to run on a track:

car.jpg

But sadly, it's not a real car any more than this is a real train:

2226493275_16042fef96_o-1.jpg

Conceivably it could have started life as an industrial BARROW or powered wheel barrow which would jive with it's being found in a mine. Something like a Truckster. This would account for the short wheelbase and relatively heavy frame. Looks like a 4 cylinder industrial engine, maybe a Hercules. More pics would be fun.

OK, let's do the math.

1. Jeep engine/trans

2. Toyota rear end

3. Toyota spindles

4. VW/Falcon wheels

5. Home made fenders

6. Homemade radiator shell

7. Giant, modern seat

8. Dubious body provenance

9. Odd proportions

It all ads up to something built in the much latter part of the 20th century. All that being said, if it were mine, I'd loose the seat and the wheels. Adapt some 19s from a Model A. Maybe ditch the fenders, I don't know. The color is way wrong for a T Speedster.

I hate it, as it is, but it could be made into a pretty cool car with a few mods.

Guest Pontiactree1

Yes the engine is a 1940 jeep willys, I want to turn it into a 20's speedster but wanted to try and find out what the body was first the frame and suspension is model T, love the comments and will get more pics, it will be a fun project, car won Mayors choice award at Lake George nationals last sept

Just Google Model T Speedster. There are many type and styles to choose from. Again, IMO, the wheels are the biggest deal killer. Some period looking wires will really transform the car. Also, in the Google images, bright blue is remarkably absent. Red, yellow, black, white, burgandy are very popular

The inside of the cowl photo with the holes drilled though the wood was Model T at one time. That is where the Coil Box mounted under the dash and insulators came though the fire wall. If you really want to Turn this body into a Model T Speedster, I would look for a Model T chassis that one of the hot rod guys took the body off of. You would be miles ahead just Bolting that body to a real T Running gear and frame. Dandy Dave!

I've seen some kind of industrial equipment with a shape very similar to the body work from the hood back and perhaps this is what the poster is trying to identify. I tried searching for a photo but I don't have any idea what it was used for. I think it was hung from a crane or something and was a scoop of a bucket. I also think they were used in pairs. It looks very similar to the item sitting outside a place I go by once in a while. I'll keep looking.

10 empty holes in the firewall are Model T Ford coilbox pattern. I suspect the firewall is t Ford with sheetmetal homemade cowl added.

Or, it's hunk of plywood with holes in it for when it was a T engined car. I doubt it is an original T firewall. More likely it was built when the body was constructed