Help: Frozen Manifold Heat Valve Control

RoadsterRich

Back again, this time I have a question regarding the manifold heat control valve on my Chrysler 77. It appears the valve cylinder inside the exhaust manifold (the piece that rotates to control the exhaust flow around the intake manifold) is completely frozen. I have tried penetrating oil, carburetor cleaner, mild acid wash and heat thus far with no avail. Note that I did not heat it much, for fear of increasing the small crack that is already there. It looks like the valve assembly expanded and cracked the exhaust manifold. Is there any way short of 'cutting' the assembly out to extract it? I am doing my best to keep the car original, so I really would prefer not to destroy the part in the process, if nothing else so it can server as a pattern for a new one. On the positive side, it is frozen in the closed position, so the air does not flow around the intake manifold. In any event any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I looked around for replacement manifolds, the only ones I located were as bad or worse than mine. Once again thanks to all for this great resource!<P>Rich<BR><A HREF=www.1930Chrysler77.com>www.1930Chrysler77.com</A><BR><FONT SIZE=-1>Member AACA, WPCC</FONT>

• 5 weeks later...

Rich,<BR> I worked at Chrysler dearships for years, and we always sold "Heat Riser Solvent" under the Mopar name. It always worked great, especially when let set overnight. I've used many different brands over the years, and none have had the same effect (although P.B.Blaster is a great choice). I've been out of the dealership loop for a couple of years, but I think it is still available. But from what you describe, it sounds like the valve is hopelessly stuck.

RICH I EMAILED YOU THE LAST TIME YOU POSTED THE PART THAT ROTATES IS A CAST METAL THAT SWELLES OVER THE YEARS IF YOU TAP ON THE SHAFT THAT RUNS THOUGH THE MANIFOLD IT MAY START TO MOVE BUT THE CAST PART WILL BRAKE OFF I DID THIS WITH TWO OF THEM AN BOTH OF THEM BROKE BUT A PATTERN WAS MADE FROM THE BROKEN PART WITH STEELE AN NOT CAST METAL WORKS FINE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT WILL REFREEZE AN IT IS JUST THERE TO PREHEAT THE ENGINE FASTER IN THE WINTER.

Manifold heat riser repair kits are available. At least they are for1935 and up Plymouths. You might want to check the parts books and see if any of the newer parts are the same as on your car. One source for the kits is Atlas Automotive in Los Angeles.<P>I believe there is a bushing at either end of the shaft. At least there is on later cars. On a full repair of the heat riser, these bushings are removed and new ones pressed in then reamed to size.