Deduction for non-authentic air conditioning

eboose7

I would appreciate your assessment. I have a 1956 Thunderbird that has been restored per the data plate specifications. The except is I installed an under dash air conditioning unit during the restoration. I drive the car occasionally in Georgia where the air conditioning comes in handy during the humid summer months. I would like to try for an AACA First Junior. My question is: How many points will I lose for the non-authentic air conditioning? Are there two deductions (one in the engine compartment for the compression and another in the interior for the under dash unit)? Or is there one total deduction to include both the engine compartment and the interior? Thanks so much for your considered opinion.

That is a lot of points in a very competitive class. You may want to consider entering your car in Driver Participation Class. That class is designed for cars with non-authentic "upgrades" such as your Air Conditioning.

Alternatively, Mr. Eboose7, enter your car in its regular class

and check "Do Not Judge" on the form. That way, your attractive

Thunderbird will be displayed with all the other similar 'Birds and

not placed in a huge unsorted category.

That's what I and some others do. I enjoy cars, their history,

touring with them and sharing them with others,

but I don't care about trophies. The beautiful car IS the trophy,

and sharing the car with the public is the enjoyment.

You guys all gave him an honest appraisal of the situation BUT he absolutely has a right to show in class judging and it is mathematically possible that he could win a First Junior at a national show. Unlikely at a show like Hershey but certainly at some others it is possible. A Second or even a Third Junior puts a smile on a lot of people's faces. I see it all the time and in fact many times a winner of a second or third is overwhelmingly happy and seems to me just as happy as a First Junior winner! Just wanted to clarify things as I did get an email in regards to this thread.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz
typo (see edit history)

I believe it was the actress Sophia Loren, a very beautiful woman, who said, "Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." Well, I believe that my car is beautiful, and it is otherwise correct, except for the air conditioning. I don't think I have anything to lose trying class judging. It'll be fun to see how I do, and I won't lose any sleep, if I don't win anything. Besides, I reflect on this truth: I know my car, I worked hard to restore it and I want to show it. I know it is a great car. That's what counts!

• 4 weeks later...

Theoretically you could win a 1st Junior, if there is almost absolutely nothing else wrong with the car and nobody else shows up, or whoever shows up has enough stuff to knock his car down to 11 points less than yours. You only have to score 365 to get a 1st Junior. That isn't likely to happen anywhere in the east, but you could trailer your car out west somewhere, maybe even the midwest, where Meets may be smaller and it could be your big day. My opinion: If you don't have radial tires, give yourself a shot before you go to DPC. I just sold a really nice almost original 53 Olds with Vintage air and radials. It had too many things against it, so I had planned to put it in DPC. If you really want a 1st Junior study where you might have the best shot and go there, but I can't think of hardly anyplace where they wouldn't be a significant number of Thunderbirds entered.

I think some people's tendency is to overlook the obvious at AACA National Meets. . .the object is to have fun, even if you don't win. It takes a person of courage, of optimism, of great spirit and attitude to bring a car to be shown. Mostly though I think it is a great opportunity to see some of the most beautiful vintage cars in the country. And who wouldn't enjoy such an event? First Junior or not, I'll return home a happy camper. Oh, yes, Dynaflash8, I don't have radial tires on my car, and your comments are much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

An option that would take some work - take the AC off, go for your 1st Junior and then if successful, go for the Senior. Then put the AC back on and from that moment on just go for Preservation Award. You could theorectically win both in 2015 so would only be without the AC for one season

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

What a wonderful time I had in Charlotte this past weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to see some truly beautiful cars and talk with some great people. I even got a chance to meet the former owner of my car who lives in the Charlotte area. He and his lovely family were able to see the car, after three years. I was also honored to win a First Junior. Thank you for all your suggestions to my earlier post.

I would appreciate your assessment. I have a 1956 Thunderbird that has been restored per the data plate specifications. The except is I installed an under dash air conditioning unit during the restoration. I drive the car occasionally in Georgia where the air conditioning comes in handy during the humid summer months. I would like to try for an AACA First Junior. My question is: How many points will I lose for the non-authentic air conditioning? Are there two deductions (one in the engine compartment for the compression and another in the interior for the under dash unit)? Or is there one total deduction to include both the engine compartment and the interior? Thanks so much for your considered opinion.
Would there be any loss of points if the A/C system was a dealer installed type of unit, as I'm planning for my '57 Sunliner?

And Larry your documentation would have to be "factory documentation" that the unit was available for your particular make and model car and was authorized by the factory. Dealers often installed accessories that were not factory authorized. Such documentation could be in the form of sales literature, parts lists, service bulletins, etc.

Kevin, yes, I showed the car with the air conditioning. But the rest of the car was faithfully restored according to the Thunderbird Restoration Details and Specifications Manual which is written by Gil Baumgartner, Authenticity Director for the Classic Thunderbird Club International (CTCI). I even included the factory markings on the undercarriage. Moreover, a representative from the shop which restored the car came to Charlotte with me to answer any questions the judges might have.