1936 starter

Guest Sifua

I noticed that the starter on my 36 Dodge would turn over even when I had the ignition key turned off. Is this normal? By the way, I didn't get the car started.

Generally, if there is a separate starter button or pedal, then the starter can be run without the ignition switch being on. If I recall correctly, the first Chrysler products to run the start off the ignition switch were after WW2.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Fran,<P>I'll bet your ignition switch is just that, an IGNITION switch. If so, it only affects the current flowing to the coil. <P>That is the way Model A Fords (and many others of that era) operate. The starter switch is "hot" all the time. It is actuated by a pedal in the floor that mechanically closes the starter switch to operate the starter. There's no starter solenoid as used in later vehicles.<P>I'll bet your's is similar. Hope this helps.

Back in the 40s we lived in upstate New York and my dad rented his garage to a neighbor for storing his 1936 Chevrolet coach. I used to sneak into the garage (10 years old) and crank the starter with the car in gear to roll it back and forth! It was to defeat kids like me that the industry went to solenoid starting systems. grin.gif" border="0 <BR>jnp