Sign in to follow this  
joelonzello

More Hoard Photos

I knew of a wrecking yard full of old cars near a small city. The owner had actually quit selling off parts and was making good money selling whole cars (or what was left of them) when he unfortunately passed. The family was going to auction off the remaining cars after his death, but the city stepped in and put a stop to the sale. They didn't want the "derelicts" all over the city. When I lived there I had to sign annual affidavits that my unlicensed cars were being worked on. Those cars were all crushed.

Actually my plan is to retire and play with all my junk and then sell it off if I need cash. Sometimes life changes those plans and you kick the bucket too soon. My daughter has explicit instructions to have an auction on everything that's left and to invite everyone on my forums.

Yes. Hoarders are good for the hobby. It keeps the trash dealers out of it and keeps it in the hobby. Try to think of everything you have purchased at an estate sale! Great source of parts!

Thanks Wayne for this good conversation!

Bill

Bill- we'll probably see you one day on "American Pickers" except you'll send them down the road empty-handed!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D[/quote

Machinist_ Bill, That's telling them!

If the gawkers and lookers, have permission to be on someone's property; that is one thing. But, if they don't have permission; maybe they should leave well enough alone.

A elderly friend of mine called me today wanting to remove a car from his back yard and store it because his house has been condemned as unsafe. (hoarder)

The city is going to take it tomorrow!.

I went to see it and explained that would cost more to move it and store it than its worth. I asked if he wanted to sell anything in the house before the city takes it in less than 20 hours. (He has a full machine shop in the basement and tons of tools) he said NO, he would look around later today and see if he wanted to sell anything and let me know.

I tried to help him out even though I really don't need anything, but he just won't realize that it will all be gone tomorrow.

Thank goodness for the hoarder or was that collector! Which of the detractors hear think that any of these cars would have survived without this guy's intervention? These were not high dollar cars when they were moved here. In fact most might have been one step away from the scrapper when he got them. Remember Lady Bird Johnson's America beautification project in the 60's, and the extinction of the urban wrecking yards as they gave way to urban sprawl. Most of the yards that survived became not much more then stopping off place for cars like these on their way to becoming scrap to make new Toyotas. This guy, and people like him, spent their money, used their own time and had the space to store these cars otherwise these cars, along with this thread would not exist today.

Greediness? I don't see anyone getting rich here......

As a hoarder myself I can understand why he doesn't sell anything just because others thinks he should. Those cars are his life. Money is not his objective. All you can do is wait until he passes and hope something is left for the estate sale.

(My stuff is safely hid inside nice barns)

I have friends and acquaintances wanting to take out a contract on me after I've told them that they'll have to deal with my heirs if they want to purchase anything of mine.

I believe the right side picture is 1938 Ford (missing the headlight buckiets.

I'm enjoying the Forums. Sharing a few more pics of Hoard discovered last May This place is Rat Rod heaven !

I believe the right side picture is 1938 Ford (missing the headlights).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]292249[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]292250[/ATTACH]

Yes and possibly when you are dead and buried the stuff will be sold to a trash dealer and lost to the hobby forever and what a shame that would be. I myself like to help my fellow man and I will share and help wherever I can. My philosophy is do unto others as you would have them do unto you. You need not give it away but in my opinion you should sell for a fair price. Wayne

How do YOU decide what Bill or I or anyone else should sell and what we can keep? Do onto others? Would YOU want others to decide what you should sell? Who put you in charge? I think it's YOUR greed that makes you want what others have and you can't, simply because they won't sell it to you. How kind of you, allowing him to sell his stuff for a fair price versus giving it away.

Edited by JerryVan (see edit history)

I thought I read a rule somewhere that went something like "Thou shall not covet thy neighbors goods."

I can't fathom the hoarder mentality.

Sadly they are everywhere.

They won't fix them though some SAY they're going to "someday", they won't cover them or move them to protect them from further deterioration and no matter how poor some of them may be money doesn't figure into anything........I think it's a mild form of insanity.......I really do.

About 13 miles away from my home is a farm at the end of a long driveway.

In his yard are a bunch of muscle cars of the same make arranged in a circle........where they sit 24/7/365......sinking into the ground.

Some might call that yard art........I call it nuts.

Unlabeled plastic barrels in a junkyard in NJ. Not open to the public, nothing for sale. Sounds like the start of the next episode of "The Pickers".

if you still watch The Pickers that makes you likely the entire audience ! Never has a show lost its popularity so quickly. Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

I can't fathom the hoarder mentality.

Sadly they are everywhere.

They won't fix them though some SAY they're going to "someday", they won't cover them or move them to protect them from further deterioration and no matter how poor some of them may be money doesn't figure into anything........I think it's a mild form of insanity.......I really do.

About 13 miles away from my home is a farm at the end of a long driveway.

In his yard are a bunch of muscle cars of the same make arranged in a circle........where they sit 24/7/365......sinking into the ground.

Some might call that yard art........I call it nuts.

Not everybody enjoys things the same way we do. Many years ago, my dad asked an old farmer if an old hit & miss engine that was literally half buried in the ground might be for sale. He was told in no uncertain terms that as long as he was alive, that engine would stay right there. He further explained that he remembered the day his dad bought the engine, how he, as a boy, ran it and what it was used for. Every time he saw it, it reminded him of those days, which seemed to give him some pleasure. It didn't matter what condition it was in now, it just mattered what it represented.

I guess he must have been insane too, because he wasn't enjoying the old engine the way he was supposed to.

Leave people alone. Let them enjoy what they've got in their own way. Just because you can't fathom it doesn't make them insane, (or you sane for that matter).

I have a 31 xxxxxx that had a rusted grille and I was looking for one with better chrome on it.

It took about a year before I found one on E bay and I went overboard in buying it as I didn't want to lose it.

After buying it, someone got in touch with me and wanted to buy the old one as he was also biding on it and he had been looking for two years to replace his missing grille.

I didn't want to sell it in case I had an accident and needed to replace it. He wasn't too happy that I had two and he had none.

Does that make me a hoarder?

Sorry Roger and Jerry but we seem to be outnumbered. I have been a hoarder (Collector) since I was 5. My parents were depression kids and NEVER threw anything away. (Saved it 'cause we might need it one day) I come by this honestly. Here is my take on all of this:

Rich Folk - They can hoard (Collect) all the restored cars and parts they want and everyone says "How Wonderful".

Working Man - He enjoys the same thrill of owning a hoard (Collection) but is called names because they are not restored. Everyone says "What an eyesore".

Rich Folks cars have always been out of my league ever since I can remember. Thats ok I am not jealous. The problem now is that the cars I hoarded (Collected) 40 + years ago have now become "Rich Folks" cars. They don't like people like myself owning those vehicles. (I am not worthy) and it irritates the heck out of them! I have to admit it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling everytime that happens.

Just a simple Indiana man having fun on the forums! Gosh I love old cars!

I would consider a true hoarder one who never sells anything and everything is either not stored inside at all, rotting in the ground or in a bunch of run down buildings that are really no different than being outside as the roofs leak profusely and everything is in a rapid state of deterioration.

I have alot of stuff. Of course selling it is my business and way of earning a living. Pretty much any day you could stop by my shop and I would sell alot of it by the truck load. Some days really cheap. Maybe even just by the pound or ton. Any day this week works for me. :) Just call ahead!

I hoard stuff until I sell it....

You mean you collect stuff until you sell it ! Hoarders don't sell!

Wayne

Here is a site online I just found.." Cars in Barns" -

Carsinbarns.com was originally created by Scott Robinson from Ontario, Canada. He had been watching a '68 Hemi Roadrunner rotting away in a nearby driveway for more than 14 years when he decided to photograph the car and post it online. Just after Christmas in 1999, he put up a simple site to display the photos he had taken and Carsinbarns.com was born. Along with photographs of local cars, Scott asked others to submit pictures of similar cars "rotting away" across Canada and the United States. It quickly grew into a site containing over 1,000 pictures and stories of rotting American muscle cars and classics.

In 2003, Jim and Dawn Brown of Branson, Missouri took over CarsinBarns.com. They continued adding photos submitted by site visitors as well as photos they had taken of cars in southeast Missouri. Jim and Dawn began the tradition of producing the now coveted CarsinBarns.com annual calendars and logo t-shirts.

In 2009, Steve Jackson of Dallas, Texas took ownership of Carsinbarns.com with plans to revamp the site and bring weekly updates to site visitors. Stay tuned! We've got hundreds of pictures and stories to add to Carsinbarns.com, and more are arriving everyday!

Pictures submitted and displayed on CarsinBarns.com are received from site visitors. We do not own these cars, we do not know where these cars are located, and we do not know if these cars are for sale. Feel free to contact us, but we DO NOT reveal information about the people who submit information to CarsinBarns.com. We respect your privacy!

http://www.carsinbarns.com/Classics/Pg3Clscs.htm

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

I have a 31 xxxxxx that had a rusted grille and I was looking for one with better chrome on it.

It took about a year before I found one on E bay and I went overboard in buying it as I didn't want to lose it.

After buying it, someone got in touch with me and wanted to buy the old one as he was also biding on it and he had been looking for two years to replace his missing grille.

I didn't want to sell it in case I had an accident and needed to replace it. He wasn't too happy that I had two and he had none.

Does that make me a hoarder?

Nope.......that makes you a forward thinker...... ;)

The problem now is that the cars I hoarded (Collected) 40 + years ago have now become "Rich Folks" cars. They don't like people like myself owning those vehicles. (I am not worthy) and it irritates the heck out of them! I have to admit it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling everytime that happens.

Why is it a 'problem'? Even the rusty ones you don't get to by the time your body tells you to call it quits (and reluctantly admit it), is retirement income when you sell.

Craig

Everybody's hobby is different. People derive enjoyment from different things. Live and let live. Get over it!

Everybody's hobby is different. People derive enjoyment from different things. Live and let live. Get over it!

Yup .