'56 Lincoln power window problem. Temperature related?

Guest Oldschoolfull

Guest Oldschoolfull

I have a 1956 Lincoln Premiere. I have owned and worked on this car for several years and have never had a problem with the power windows until... I took the car on its first "long" trip a few months ago. During the drive, the driver side window rolled up on its own without me hitting the switch. I found this odd but hit the switch to roll it back down and it did so with no trouble, so I didn't think much of it. A few miles down the road I actually blew my lower radiator hose off and dumped all the coolant down the driver side and under the the car (I don't think it's related but I mention this just in case). Upon getting the car home, none of the windows would roll up. Relays would "click" in all four doors but nothing else. After investigation, I found the wires going to the driver side relay and windo motor had shorted out and melted together inside the door. I cut out and replaced the damaged wiring, expecting this to remedy the problem, but after repairing and reconnecting everything, still just clicking relays but windows wouldn't work. Im getting power from the switch to the relay and have tried five different relays to no avail.

Now here's the weird part.....

When the temperature drops below 35 degrees, without fail, the power windows will work like clockwork with no issues. I have tested this several times since discovering it and without question, the temperature is somehow effecting whether they work or don't. I have never encountered this. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!! I'm at my wits end.

Sounds like a thermal circuit breaker issue. You will need a good wiring diagram to see if your car has a thermal breaker installed. Usually they limit current flow if too much current is drawn, as in the case of your shorted wiring.

Terry

Guest Oldschoolfull

Terry, thank you for your response. Any ideas on a possible location for that thermal breaker? That is something I haven't thought of or checked yet. That will definately be my next course of action. And you are absolutely correct, the wiring diagram would be invaluable, and as a matter of fact I am looking for one to purchase. Thanks again for the input.

Shane

Sorry I do not know for sure if your car has a thermal cut out relay. Just offering the suggestion as something to investigate. I worked in Television electronic circuits where a device like this was common.

Terry

Guest Oldschoolfull

Thank you for your input Bob. Yes I agree. As I mentioned earlier, I am currently looking for one now, preferably the entire shop repair manual if I can find it. Any ideas on where to source that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Shane

They are readily available as originals, reprints, or CD's There are two originals right now on EBay. Google 1956 Lincoln service manual for many leads. Most any auto book dealer will be able to help you. If you plan to keep the car you are just a babe in the woods without a service manual.......................Bob