removal of radio speaker screen from 1965 Riviera dash pad

Seafoam65

Need some help from the 65 Gurus again......my next project on my

65 is repainting of the front speaker grill.....it has numerous chips in it and I

am puzzled how they got there in the first place. I see no visible fasteners on

top so am I correct in assuming that I will have to remove the entire dash pad

and undo it from the bottom? I'm trying to get everything as perfect as possible for point judging at the BCA nats in Springfield this June.

Need some help from the 65 Gurus again......my next project on my

65 is repainting of the front speaker grill.....it has numerous chips in it and I

am puzzled how they got there in the first place. I see no visible fasteners on

top so am I correct in assuming that I will have to remove the entire dash pad

and undo it from the bottom? I'm trying to get everything as perfect as possible for point judging at the BCA nats in Springfield this June.

Correct

Mine was a bear to get out!! There might be only a few screws across the front. But the brackets near the front edge under the pad must hold it in place as well. I wasn't real concerned with damaging the old one. Since it was a mess anyhow. It sure was stuck in place. A word of advice. I see you are in Texas. And the weather is warmer there. But be careful with a cold dash pad. I cracked a perfect dash pad in a '77 Chevy truck working in a cold shop. Old and cold aren't a good thing for vinyl and plastic. Bill

You are voicing my concerns exactly.....The dash pad on this car is in perfect condition, but that could change if I get rough with it. It's been there for fifty years without being disturbed so I figure it's bound to be stuck to the underlying metal panel....stands to reason......

Guest dwhiteside64

Can't you access it from the bottom with the radio and accessory panel removed ????? It looks like it's possible with my '64 but haven't attempted it yet...

If you press along all the edges before and while pulling out the pad you can see where it sticks and where to push and break loose. Mine has a dark bronze colored grill so once out I masked off the pad and got a very close matching rattle can of dark bronze metallic and sprayed it and not its perfect. The door pull cups were the same color and I shot those too. The fiberglass under the pad comes loose so be careful when pulling I had to lift the center a bit and using a flat piece of wood like a painters mixing stick I pushed the insulation out of the way. Once I out I used 3m adhesive and re adhered it all before re installing. I also cleaned the top and sprayed a vinyl finish/cleaner over that too. I use Maguires rubber/vinyl cleaner/spray finish. Its also a good time to check all your hard to get bulbs in the dash as they are mostly all accessible from there. Good Luck!