Hemmings changed their policies without warning!

Amphicar BUYER

I posted this a few days ago but I can not find it, so here it is again...

I noticed that I could not find my Amphicars wanted ad online. I called Hemmings and got a VERY curt and rude woman. At 1st they said it was due to too much fraud then I was told that they are tired of giving business free ads online so they do not show wanted ads online. FREE? Hardly I have been paying ea and every year (13 years in a row) for that ad! She was quite curt and once I Said that was not free and I pay for both print and online and this secret policy was unfair so I'm pulling my subscription and ad, she said OK and hung up on me!

I am STUNNED that they chose to do this. If they didn't feel wanted ads are priced accordingly, then change the price don't secretly kill them. Her attitude is what really left me angry.

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

next time you are in a situation like that get a name before the conversation ends up in a "click". threatning to cancel does not work. write a letter to the president of hemmings, an honest letter without too much drama,and most of the time you will get a better result. I learned this from an old boss when I was having issues with a new $10,000 outboard motor that the company was not fixing for me.i recently tried this with john deere over an issue with my $5000 lawn mower, but they just did not care. each company is different, but most will try to make you happy. it is always worth one stamp to try. my outboard got fixed due to a very diligent mechanic that got involved in the process. I think hemmings is a better company than the woman you talked too. skyler

I would think that any of the older publications that are losing numbers to the internet must be frustrated.

It has been several years since I let my Hemmings Magazine subscription laps but I get LOTS of mail from them with offers to renew.

Times are changing and no one knows the answer. At least Hemmings is online. As for a phone conversation, one will get the good with the bad. That lady was probably tired of her job that day.

Guest AlCapone

Remember that when you call it is likely you are talking to a call centre that answers the telephone for 25 different companies. They have no allegiance or affiliation in fact they quite often are not even in the same country. So to threaten this person with a cancelled subscription means absolutely nothing. Wayne

Guest Buick56Special

Remember that when you call it is likely you are talking to a call centre that answers the telephone for 25 different companies. They have no allegiance or affiliation in fact they quite often are not even in the same country. So to threaten this person with a cancelled subscription means absolutely nothing. Wayne

Hemmings has their own people answering phones at their HQ in Bennington, VT....

In my dealings with Hemmings, I have always found them

courteous and knowledgeable. When you call, you aren't

dealing with impersonal, less-educated call-center employees;

I think you are dealing with ladies of long employment who truly care.

You must have gotten a bad one that day.

And Hemmings, in my opinion, is a company that really is passionate

about the antique cars they write about. Their Editor in Chief Richard

Lentinello has presented a very interesting seminar once or twice at

the AACA's Annual Meeting in Philadelphia.

Whenever you have a problem with a product, write to the top man,

I have read. Don't work your way up from the bottom of the organizational

chart. The President or C.E.O. may never read your complaint, but it will

go to his office, and any directives within the company will be coming

directly from the office of their President--usually spurring much more action.

And executive suites usually do appreciate feedback.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Hemmings is still an immensely popular publication and many magazines would love to have their subscription numbers. As John says most of the staff at Hemmings are terrific and understand customer service. Occasionally you and I all have a bad day and may not give great customer service. No excuse for rude behavior though.

If you have a beef with any organization the best way is to always reach someone in upper management to discuss how you feel. This forum can not fix a problem with another vendor. I can tell you from having worked in customer service at Oldsmobile and having been a dealer for many years those who approach it rationally, avoid swearing or yelling usually get someone on the other end to be empathetic with their concern. Those that call and act immaturely make matters even more difficult to resolve.

We have had a long standing policy that if you have a problem with a business do not mention them by name. This thread violates the policy and will be locked down and later taken down.

John, Terry McGean is now editor-in-chief of Hemmings.