Charging Light doesn't go out.

I just had my generator rebuilt off my 1963 Rambler American engine and I purchased a new matching voltage regulator from the guy who rebuilt the generator. He checked it all out on the bench and it worked fine. I installed it on my 1963 Rambler American engine which is installed in a 1960 Ramble American body. When I run the car the red charging light does not go off even when I rev up the engine. I polarized the voltage regulator a second time and I checked continuity on all the wires going to the voltage regulator and they are all fine. I also checked and I get battery voltage on the battery cable connection on the voltage regulator. <P>What am I missing? confused.gif" border="0

Guest Albert

You polarized the generator not the voltage regulator, check for battery voltage at the BATT connector of the regulator, make sure as well the field of the gen is connected to the field of the regulator & armature is connected to ARM. If that's ok check the voltage at the armature term with the engine running,(should be 13.8-14.5V). if that's ok check the voltage at the battery, if that's ok check the wires for the idot light are on the right terminals.

Guest Randy Berger

Albert read my mind - sounds like the wire to the idiot light is on the BATT terminal on the regulator instead of the ARMATURE terminal.

If all else fails, there is always the last fall back solution. Put a piece of electrical tape over the light and forget about it. wink.gif" border="0 <P><B>Just kidding</B> grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0