My fingers are too big!

The fuel gauge fails to register on my 59 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer. The service manual sets out a test to identify whether it is sender unit, cable, gauge, or ground that is failing. But to complete the test the manual instructs me to connect a spare sender unit to the gauge in the dash.<P>Problem: my fingers are far too big to hold the wire to the connector pin of the fuel gauge (the pins of the other intruments in the dash are within 1/2inch of the fuel gauge). The service manual suggests using jumper cables to make the connection: either jumper cables have increased dramatically in size since the 1950s or the author never actually tried this himself!<P>Anyhow, does anyone have any idea about how to complete a test like this?

Years ago I made several testing rigs with electronic test clips bought from Radio Trash and regular single strand plastic electric wire (just hand stripped regular 110v double household wire). Also I've acquired several different kinds of special mirrors for under dash and other places where it's impossible to see. These tools have proved invaluable in solving all kinds of DC problems. smile.gif" border="0