No brakes in 41 chrysler Help please!

My 41 chrysler decided she doesnt want to stop anymore! I havent any pedal pressure at all. As of the day before she stopped ok, I'm not a mechanic, so I dont know if theres a master cylinder to check fluids. I am going to order pads and linings, but how do I tell if these are mechanical brakes? Is there a diagram of the braking system for this car in existance? Any help appreciated!<BR>Rick

res1967 ~ With the first Chrysler built in 1924 all Chrysler's have had juice brakes, or more correcly known as hydraulic brakes. If you do not pedal pressure at all this would mean you have lost hydraulic pressure from either a loss of fluid in the system or your master cylinder needs rebuilding (possibly also your wheels cylinders while your at it). To much air in the system will cause a loss of brake pedal pressure. As far as the location of the master cylinder on a '41 Chrylser I don't know (never have owned one), should be either under the hood or under the drivers side front floor board. You should be able to trace your brake lines back to the master cylinder. I would recommend you contact a member of the Chrysler club and see if there are any service or factory repair manuals being reproduced for your car. They are always a great source of knowledge.<BR>A side note here. About 20 years ago a friend of mine bought a '24 Chrysler 2 door sedan from the original owner. He drove the car home with out checking it out very carefully. He went to pull the car into the garage and the 4 wheel hydraulic brakes failed at just that moment and the big heavy Chrysler was then stoped only by the crushing action of his wife's clothes washer and dryer being driven through the garage wall into the house. My friends wife never did like her husbands hobby and now she really hated it. My friend ended up haveing to buyer a new cloths washer and dryer, repair the wall and sold the Chrysler. shocked.gif" border="0

Hey Rick,<P>I can't say for sure, but your '41 shouldn't be too different from my '37 Chrysler. My master cylinder is located in the engine compartment on the driver's side back near the floor. Open the hood and look where the brake pedal comes through the floor. Have someone work the pedal and watch what moves. Follow the moving parts and you'll find the master cylinder. smile.gif" border="0 <P>If your m/c isn't in the engine compartment, like mine, it's probably under the floor. If so, peal back the mat and you'll find an access hole to fill the m/c. wink.gif" border="0 <P>In any case, remove the plug and fill it with fresh brake fluid and have someone pump the brake pedal while you look under the car with a flashlight. If a line has rusted through, you'll see fluid dripping somewhere between the front and rear wheels. Also, take a look at the backing plates of each wheel. If a wheel cylinder has blown out, you'll see fluid running out there. frown.gif" border="0 <P>You won't need a diagram as these are a very simple system. Brake pedal connected to the m/c, m/c connected to the brake lines, brake lines connected to the wheel cylinders.... and that's the end of that tune! grin.gif" border="0 <P>If you had brakes one day and none the next, I'll almost guarantee you've got a leak. Hope this helps! rolleyes.gif" border="0