trunks

Ricko1937

I am purchasing a metal trunk for my 1934 Chrysler CA Conv Cpe. The seller assures me this is the proper trunk for this particular model. This trunk is in such good original condition the seller believes it has never been on a car before. The question I have is the interior of the trunk is painted black on the sheetmetel. There isn't any 1/8 inch hardwood or any type of hard cardboard material. In judging this trunk will I be docked without any interior material. I plan on documenting the interior with pictures before restoring it. The seller who deals with these trunks alot said it may have been this way originally. He does deal with these items and seems to know what is correct. Any advice on which way to present the interior. Thanks

I have seen a number of trunks, especially on lower priced cars, that are no more than the steel shell with no liner of any kind on the inside. In some cases where there are supporting ribs, these are clearly visible.<P>I certainly would not try to line it with some modern hardboard material.<P>This is my opinion based on judging experience, and NOT on any great knowledge on the subject of trunks. I could be wrong.<P>hvs

However ---- I had a '31 Cadillac with an original Fleetwood trunk. It was ALL METAL, but was lined on the inside with wood which was finished to a satin luster. It was NOT any kind of panel board, but had the look of quality cabinetry. I am convinced it was original.<P>That was the reason for qualifying my statement with the reference to lower priced cars. However, Father Ron has just shot that arguement full of holes. I guess it depended on the particular make of car, or trunk manufacturer, or maybe on the era. 1920s vs 1930s.<P>I suggest that if it is unlined and appears original inside, you leave it unlined. ~ hvs