'23 Buick sold at Barrett-Jackson Auction yesterday

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Don't know if everyone saw the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale yesterday but a '23 Buick Model 23-55 sold for $57,200. Glad to see some interest being shown in the early 20's cars; seems like the interest in them has been waning over the past few years. According to their description, the car has 16,000 original miles and extensive ownership history. They say the leather upholstery is all original and the car has won the AACA Preservation Award, AACA First Prize and AACA Grand National.

post-66120-143142936543_thumb.jpg

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1923-BUICK-SERIES-23-55-CONVERTIBLE-180940

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

That IS a nice looking car, if I owned it and wanted to sell it, would be asking $30,000, with everyone telling me it's not worth that.....the first of the year auctions in Scottsdale always fascinate me, just because of the people who show up with so much disposable income that reality is lost after the first drink and bid.....I know there might be a bargain or two through the course of the auction, but they're not often talked about...

BJ prices always amaze me. I can't watch the show, I get too upset. But, with that said, if I had a really nice car (and not a driver) I would have to think about letting them sell it since they sure get some big money. Well, never hurts to dream.

I'm certain there are people flipping cars with BJ as the goal after they get it from some poor widow.

Sorry if I hurt some BJ fans feelings. Just one man's opinion. My Brother says, 'watch it for what it is, entertainment'.

I agree with the last two comments. It is upsetting to watch as the prices escalate way beyond the value of the car. A few more drinks, a television camera on you, and your the "king of the world" paying too much for a car that you'll never get your money back on. These TV shows on Velocity are all over the board and everyone is an expert! No wonder the whole classic car world is upside down!

I am sure there are hundreds of other examples, but the Modified (jeep engine) Crosley Fire Truck that sold on Tuesday out of the Pratt collection was bought at BJ in 2010 or 11 for 110,000 including buyers premium. I know there was a charity involved then and there is now also. The vehicle sold for 105,000. I was also somewhat insulted when this modified vehicle was reported by the resident talking head (Mike Joy??) as being the "finest in the world". A real slap in the face to Norman Smith's grand National winning vehicle of the same model (that truly is one of the finest in existence) and one or 2 others that are almost as good.

And back to the car itself (and it looks very nice). I thought all Model 55's had wire wheels? Also the nickel work looks too good and may now be chrome? Two errors for a top dollar car. Somebody call Thurston Howell and break the news to him.

The ad does say it's nickel plated, maybe its just been polished too much

And recently two unrestored ones have shown up.

post-79073-143142938071_thumb.jpg

Which if I had the where-with-all I would have bought one. I really like the Sport Touring car! If I had bought the one for $6,000., and had sent it out to be restored. One would probably have roughly double the $57,200 into the restoration.

I had made a deal on a 1923-54 for $20,500. Which was to be a good original running/driving car with a presentable 50 + year old restoration. When we arrived to take delivery, the car was not drivable or running. So a 9 hr drive back home. We did love the original "Spanish Grain Leather".

post-79073-143142938087_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142938083_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142938085_thumb.jpg

Rod :

How did you know that was the deal breaker?

These photos were from the original sale posting of the car from Minnesota. Apparently these people had bought the car from the 2nd owner who had it in storage for about 15 years and were going to "flip it". The person in Vermont who bought it, found out it was also not correctly represented. With several thousands of dollars "sorting out" to do just to get it to be a driver. So he had done the same. I believe he has kept the car and actually had the required work done. Also the front carpet and spare tire cover were missing

So to answer your question the price did not include the dice.!

post-79073-143142939486_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142939482_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142939484_thumb.jpg