Best brake lining to use ???

critterpainter

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, Contact McMaster-Carr for the woven lining you're in need of. <A HREF="http://www.mcmaster.com" TARGET=_blank>www.mcmaster.com</A> <BR>Scroll down on their home page to 'Raw Materials and Springs' and then click on 'Brake Lining'. You'll want the semimetallic woven lining.<P> Critterpainter, I believe you'll need the 3/16 thick by 1 1/2" or the 1 3/4" wide (not certain on a '30 ) for your Dodge. They would be riveted on which they also sell the rivets.<P> I hope this helps you.<BR> Rick

Rick<BR> Thanks for the input....didn't think of mcmaster carr.....I sent my shoes to a wholesale relining shop in LA and they rivited on new lining......they said the stuff they used is for steel drums....I will find out this weekend.....cost was $20 per SHOE.....had I gone with the "cheap bonded stuff it would have been $3.75 per shoe...Bill

• 1 month later...

I can't give a recommendation other than what I have found to be NOT GOOD TO USE. I had my 1930 Studebaker Bendix 3 shoe system redone by a local contractor two years ago and they used what looked like a pale mint green woven material with some metallic (Brass) content. The car has since exhibited very sensitive braking, they tend to grab with very light pedal application. This is undesirable especially when braking during a turn, the inside front wheel will lockup too easily. I plan to redo them with genuine old asbestos molded lining I found at Hershey.