Shipping large items cross country

Guest 51c8Joe

Guest 51c8Joe

I have to ship a 35 Pontiac grille shell from Tennessee to California. What is the best reasonably priced method? I'll check FEDEX and UPS, but am not sure of weight and size requirements.(Getting to a shipping hub is somewhat difficult for me and their hours of operation are erratic here) Any suggestions are welcome.

Joe

I have to ship a 35 Pontiac grille shell from Tennessee to California. What is the best reasonably priced method? I'll check FEDEX and UPS, but am not sure of weight and size requirements.(Getting to a shipping hub is somewhat difficult for me and their hours of operation are erratic here) Any suggestions are welcome.

Joe

Joe,

You are the Seller ?

Have the Buyer choose the method of shipment & suggest insurance.

Jim

Gray Hound Bus will ship large packages, it is normally cheaper than Fed Ex and UPS.

I agree. The Greyhound company was one of the only folks who would ship a Dodge truck fender for me for a reasonable price.

Fastenal would be worth a call, if there is one near the shipper and the receiver, and if both of them are willing to drive to the Fastenal store to drop it off / pick it up. I've never actually tried it, just recently heard about this option.

Guest Buick56Special

If it weighs less than 70 pounds send it by parcel post with the US Postal Service. Put a lot of bubble wrap around it and use a strong box. Good luck....

USPS is the cheapest. BUT if there is damage or loss you cannot collect the insurance unless you can prove value. Such as an eBay purchase. If you assign a value of $100 for the Pontiac grill shell. You have to have a receipt that you paid $100 for it.

Be prepared to fill-out myriads of paper work and wait 4-6 months to be paid. I have been down this road. We sell 34-36 Auburn parts and this is our canned statement concerning USPS.

" We need to warn you that the USPS insurance is worthless. With the Post Office we have never been able to collect because we cannot meet their paperwork requirements for proof of an items value: regardless of what amount we insure it for. Just so you know ‘lost in the mail’ is truly a loss It is cheaper than the private carriers, but it comes with a risk. " So if a customer wants a cheap shipping rate and there is a problem, he is on the hook for it.

We have an account with Fastenall, I will contact them and check on their service. Insurance is a big deal. It isn't if a loss will occur it is when.

Guest Buick56Special
USPS is the cheapest. BUT if there is damage or loss you cannot collect the insurance unless you can prove value. Such as an eBay purchase. If you assign a value of $100 for the Pontiac grill shell. You have to have a receipt that you paid $100 for it.

Be prepared to fill-out myriads of paper work and wait 4-6 months to be paid. I have been down this road. We sell 34-36 Auburn parts and this is our canned statement concerning USPS.

" We need to warn you that the USPS insurance is worthless. With the Post Office we have never been able to collect because we cannot meet their paperwork requirements for proof of an items value: regardless of what amount we insure it for. Just so you know ‘lost in the mail’ is truly a loss It is cheaper than the private carriers, but it comes with a risk. " So if a customer wants a cheap shipping rate and there is a problem, he is on the hook for it.

If someone buys something through Ebay and pays via Paypal and they aren't happy with it all they have to do is file a claim. Ebay has a simple policy when this happens-the buyer is always right and the seller is always wrong. I've sold over 30,000 items on Ebay since 1999 and have been down this road many times. Even if you tell them that they "are on the hook for it" they can file a claim and Paypal, which is owned by Ebay, will put a hold on the amount of the claim in your account and you can kiss that money goodbye....

The difference is I do not sell through eBay. I sell parts which I stand behind. The customer does not have to rely on PayPal to get satisfaction. There are people who will purchase hundreds of dollars worth of parts and want them sent as cheap as possible. I have no problem with that as long as they fully understand I am not going to pay for loss or damage because they are frugal. A few dollars more would have got them insurance. It is the liability of the seller to collect the insurance. I can collect from UPS and reimburse the customer. USPS will not may me, because I set the price.

If it weighs less than 70 pounds send it by parcel post with the US Postal Service. Put a lot of bubble wrap around it and use a strong box. Good luck....

I would not advise using the postal service for large items, when I used them to ship a 1953-1954 Pontiac power antenna assembly to Canada, they were so rough on handling the box, they manage to break parts of the antenna in side the box, I ship it insured, and they wouldn't pay.

Greyhound, but their tracking system leaves a lot to be desired if you're used to FedEx, UPS, or US Mail. It will get there, but it may take a week longer that they say and in between you might have no idea where it is. Basically if there isn't room on the first bus, they wait for the next one, and they don't always scan packages in when they arrive to the different stops along the way. Other than that, it seems to work and it is very cost-effective.

Guest 51c8Joe

Thanks to all replies. I am the seller, buyer is in New Zealand and has no thoughts on shipping. He wants it sent to Carson, California for forwarding. Pay through Pay-Pal. I'm not really worried about payment, but I would hate to lose the grille shell to someone who wont use it or will rip it off and mount it on a rat-rod. I'll check with GH and UPS/FEDEX when I get to town. Thanks again for your help.

Joe