Brake Shoe Linings

I am in the process of adjusting the mechanical brake system on my 1931 Chevrolet and have had a hard time getting a solid pedal that can stop the car. It has been suggested to me that the modern linings that the local brake shop relined my brakes with is too hard. Perhaps I should be using the softer, woven material that he uses on his Model A. Has anyone else had this problem? <BR>Thanks!

When I had the brakes relined on my 36 Packard 1404, (mechanical setup) the shop that did them recommend that I used the woven material, for 2 reasons, 1st- that was what the system was design for and the car will stop better because you don't have the force with mechanical brakes as you do with hydraulic brakes, 2nd- that the lining would wear down before the drums, and it would be a lot cheaper, for me, to replace the linings, then to try to find a set of drums.

I had mine done by a shop I found that relines brakes & clutch for trucks, but they do this as a side line. Most people I talked to around me use White Post Restorations in VA, I called them & they were a little cheaper (less shipping), but the guys I used are 20 miles away and had them done in 2 days.

I am a '31 Chevy owner and have had mine for 28 years. I have relined my brakes twice, both times with original type woven linings. They stop well and with normal pedal pressure. Never a feeling that they might not stop the car. Go with the woven linings.<P>hvs