First time vintage car buyer

Guest SiriusB

Great drivetrains. Almost indestructible. Body fit and finish wasn't the best from the factory. I like the 65 Chrysler myself. You still have the domed instrument cluster. Alot of car for the money. Really nice examples can be had under 10,000 in a 2 door hardtop. I walked away from a 68 Chrysler Convertible because it had been repainted but the rest of the car was crazy original and in incredible shape. Even underneath. That could have been bought for 12,000. It even had the original top and it was beautiful. (the repaint was because it got bumped in one quarter and for some reason someone decided to repaint the whole car. That was a mistake. The underneath was incredible. It even had the 440 TNT driveline and factory Air. Red with a black top and interior. 24 KMI? and I believe that was original.

Down side with these cars is they just aren't popular so if you grow tired easy of something and want to sell it to buy another car it might not be an easy sale. IF you love the style and plan to keep it for years they are probably a good choice. I would buy a very original car in super nice condition. Original paint if possible. You just get so much more with original cars and they are easier to sell. No excuses for bad body work or Issues that restored cars can have. I didn't see a price on this car but I would shop around as much as you can and buy the absolute best car you can find. I think you have alot of cars to pick from. Good luck and let us know what you end up buying.

SiriusB,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Where are you located? Hopefully we can find a local AACA Region or Chapter near you so you can visit with some local antique car enthusiasts who will be able to help you in person.

Guest SiriusB
SiriusB,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Where are you located? Hopefully we can find a local AACA Region or Chapter near you so you can visit with some local antique car enthusiasts who will be able to help you in person.

Sierra Vista, Arizona

thanks

SiriusB,

I don't know much about Arizona geography and Arizona is one of the states with a lot fewer AACA Regions than most. Here are the two Regions listed on the main page of the website.

From Google Maps it looks like Tucson Region is a little bit over an hour from you.

A.A.C.M.E. Region

President - Karen Rodgers

2901 N 80th Ln

Phoenix, AZ 85033-4807

Tucson Region

President - Ronald Sotardi

3520 N. San Juanito

Tucson, AZ 85749

The Tucson Region is hosting the Grand National Dual meet in March. You should stop by. You will be exposed to lots of antique cars then. Here is a link to the Region website:

http://www.tucsonaaca.org/

I have a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere III with 23,000 original miles and a 318 V8 coming in shortly. Should be priced under $20,000. I also have a big, red 1969 Chrysler 300 convertible at $19,900. Both would be great entry-level hobby cars that are in excellent shape and ready to enjoy.

I don't have photos of the Belvedere but here's the 300, which is a heck of a lot of car for under $20K:

001.jpg

More details: http://harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/admin_details.php?id=486

I owned a '69 300 convertible, it was medium metallic blue. Had it for about five years, sold it about eight years ago. It was an excellent car. Solid, strong and comfortable, you could get in and drive long distances in confidence. At the same time, I had a '68 full-size Pontiac convertible with the big-horse engine. It was half the car by every measure.

That green 68 Plymouth has a few things to look over carefully that show up on the video. Body seems wavy below the side moulding on the quarter panels, one spot on left fender above side moulding about in the center looks like it might have a very shallow pancake dent as evidenced by the reflection in the paint at certain angles. Clear tape over sticker in the door jamb near door hinges on driver's side really seems odd, might have been put on before buffing out new paint and they are scared to peel it off for fear of peeling off the sticker. Dash seems to have a break over speedometer. Overall the Plymouth appears to be a very good car from a 10 foot distance (10 footer) but some serious rust may have been covered up on the quarter panels, and look for rust bubbles under the vinyl roof as well.