New Tires for '89

Doug Harness

I need to replace tires on the '89 soon. They still have a lot of tread, but they're almost 12 years old. I've seen several posts about changing to larger diameter wheels, but I really like the original '89 wheels. I'm considering switching from 215-65-15 to a 215-75-15 tires, which will increase the height by 1.7 inches with the original wheels. Will that cause any problems?

Look at the top of the front tires and note the tread relationship with the bottom of the spring retainer. The 215-75r15 will take .8 in of that clearance away and the tread could be very close to the spring retainer or maybe rub. You could consider 215-70r15 which would only change that dimension by less than 1/2 inch and only change your speedometer 3.3% instead of the 6.5% using the 75 series tire.

I am not sure what you are trying to gain going the direction you listed other than a 75 series tire might be cheaper than the 65 series. If in doubt stick with the original size

That is a 27.7" tire. I am running 225x60x16s which are 26.6" and barely fit under the strut perch. I doubt that they would fit and a tall skinny 15 would look odd.

If going with stock wheels, the Kumho Solus KH16 in 215x65x15 looks pretty inexpensive but there is really not much choice in large 15s any more. Is even harder for my Judge with 15x8s, I may have to go to 17s for the next ones to get enough rubber down.