Typical police cars used in 1933, 1934

FrankWest107

Because of the depression and money was tight didn't most local police departments still use the Model A 4 cylinder fords.

Probably, but my "Police Vehicles" book shows the cars that I have mentioned. With people such as Clyde Barrow stealing V8 Fords and larger straight eight cars, the Model A could not keep up.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Almost any kind of car could be used but usually they were popular low priced cars like Ford, Plymouth or Chevrolet. Studebaker Dodge and Pontiac too. I was surprised at the number of coupes that were used, I guess carrying prisoners to jail was not a big part of police patrol work back then.

Almost any kind of car could be used but usually they were popular low priced cars like Ford, Plymouth or Chevrolet. Studebaker Dodge and Pontiac too. I was surprised at the number of coupes that were used, I guess carrying prisoners to jail was not a big part of police patrol work back then.

The depression hit especially hard city governments. Many of the small town police departments and sheriffs offices required it's employees to supply their own guns. Often times using only 22 cal which was what they had. In fact even the better police departmemnts used low quality ammo and calibers that the steel body cars of the day provide bullet proof protection.I wouldn't be surprised with the use of coups because they were the lowest priced cars and after all police patrols only needed room for one or two cops anyway. The Dillinger gang took great advantage of all these factors in their getaways...Usually leaving the scene of a robbery just driving the speed limit through town! Funny....Hollywood has to blow everything out of proportion.

This is too obvious but the decision of what car to purchase was made at a local level and could be influenced by local politics, such as the mayor's brother in law or a big political supporter owning a car dealership. In other cases it would be a competitive bid, but the specs would be laid down by the chief of police or municipal purchasing agency and certain vehicles would or would not qualify.

There was even a lawsuit around 1930 when a certain government agency specified in a truck contract, that they would only accept "manufactured" trucks, not "assembled" trucks. Some assemblers sued and presented evidence that an assembled truck was just as good and probably better.

Of course it still goes on. I remember a local case where the mayor of our capital city was noted as driving a new Lincoln with dealer plates... and (not surprisingly) both the Lincoln and the plates belonged to the Ford dealer that had just furnished the city with an entirely new fleet of patrol cars.

Back in Linden, NJ in the 1950s the Fire Chief's car was a stick-shift 1953 Mercury 2-door. I drove it a few times (to be serviced ??) , and it was a quick example. I could have been the envy of the Drive-In with that one, but later bought a black '54 Mercury convertible.