trunk light

Guest wheelsport

Guest wheelsport

Does anyone understand how the trunk light switch works? My trunk light only works when it wants to. Sometimes I can giggle it to get it to turn on. It appears to be some type of gravity operated switch but could be on a timer like the interior lights. At the light there is no power. With the light wiring unplugged at the connector, the meter shows over 12V but will not light a test light. There are two small rectangular wedge shaped plastic pieces that fit inside each side of the connectors. Orange in the body side connector and blue in the light side. I took these pieces out and looked them over. There doesn't appear to be any electronics or any moving parts in them. I'm guessing that these pieces have something to with the switching. Got any ideas?

In the pictures http://forums.aaca.org/f144/making-remote-trunk-release-works-357536.html you can see the trunk switch, it has 2 contacts, one is normally open, the other normally closed, when you turn the key the latch swings up making contact with the normally open providing ground to the light. You can clean the contact, you can even clean the latch edge to make better contact and when that doesn't work go to radio shack and get lever action micro switch, mount the switch so it only clicks on when the latch is open and attach the common contact to ground. If you have any slop in the latch pivot you change the switch or accept the intermittent operation.