Locating VIN on 48 Plymouth

Two guys I know have titles with VIN numbers different that the number on their door post. Someone said that originally these vehicles were titled with the number off the engines. Would like to verify is this is correct.

I don't know it exactly but in the early years of the automobiles it is true, that the identification went over the engine number. Especially during the brass era. As VIN the title of my 1930 Buick shows the engine number and not the frame oder body number. The title of my 1956 shows as the VIN the serial number of the car.<BR>So it could be that the numbers in the titles are the engine numbers.<P>Tom

During that time period, the engine numbers were used as the Vin number. Your engine number should be on the left side of block, at the front. There will be a flat space there, just under the head. If your car has the original still in it, the number should start with P15 (the model number for 46 to early 49 Plymouths). Also, if you changed out your engine, you had to re-register your car with the new engine number.<A HREF="http://home.infi.net/~bkinker" TARGET=_blank>Rust & Dust</A> grin.gif" border="0

During that time period, the engine numbers were used as the Vin number. Your engine number should be on the left side of block, at the front. There will be a flat space there, just under the head. If your car has the original still in it, the number should start with P15 (the model number for 46 to early 49 Plymouths). Also, if you changed out your engine, you had to re-register your car with the new engine number.<A HREF="http://home.infi.net/~bkinker" TARGET=_blank>Rust & Dust</A> grin.gif" border="0

On Chrysler products, the engine number, the serial number and the body number are all different:<ul>[*]Engine number on block above generator</li>[*]Serial number on front passenger door post on early models. I think it changed to drivers door post on later.</li>[*]Body number in engine compartment on firewall</li>

Which of these numbers were used for registration depended on the state the car was registered in. When I bought my car in Upstate New York it was registered with the engine number. When I moved to Maryland I got them to use the serial number for registration.<P>If you contact the Chrysler Historical Collection to get your original "build card", then you will need to supply the serial number.

Tod -<BR>It's interesting that Dodge Brothers started using this tri-number ID system long before there was a Chrysler Corp. DB had sequential running car serial numbers directly linked to the production calendar, with a separate set of numbers for engines (which by 1923 were off by at least 50,000 vs. the serial #) and body numbers that were serial to the body type. When Chrysler started production in 24/25 did they use a similar system?<P> cool.gif" border="0

I don't know when Chrysler started using this system. Nor do I really know if they used it on models other than Plymouth. (I would be surprised if the system was not corporate wide.)<P>Early Plymouths used a "Fedco" numbering scheme for the serial numbers but this was replaced after only a couple of years with a straight numeric serial number. The engine number typically had the car's engineering code as a prefix. The body number was a mixed alphabetic and numeric code that included a code for the body style.