EBay Search

Taylormade

Is it just me or has the search function in EBay Motors gone off the rails? I always have it set up to view cars from 1900 to 1942, but tonight it suddenly gives me 62000 sales of modern cars no matter what I type into the search function. Just another reason to stop looking for "bargains" I guess.

Guest AlCapone

and just remember there are literally hundreds of buyers doing the same thing that you are, it is rare a bargain is to be found on eBay any longer ! A scam maybe a bargain, not likely. Wayne

There are deals on ebay but you have to find the parts just like at a swap meet. When you go to the Cord guy's tent you pay Cord prices. You go to the Chevy/clean the barn out guy's tent who has alot of stuff to get rid of and doesn't really know what it is, then you may get a deal. Especially if you buy it by the box load.

I sold an awesome Chevy dealer banner from the late 50's over 12 foot long (paper) multi color, in mint condition as it had never been hung for 55.00 the other day. I sold the same thing (I had 2 of them that came in an advertising kit that had some damage) that sold for more than twice that 2 weeks earlier. Ebay has no rhyme or reason. If you have a popular car you will pay a premium amount for desirable parts as there is almost always someone else looking. You can buy nice Hudson and AMC chrome parts NOS for crazy cheap prices. Not everyone on ebay puts crazy prices on stuff. I price my stuff to sell. I want it gone in 7 days. Check my listings and my store out. There are alot of bargains to be had.

Here are a couple of links.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1961-1963-Chevy-Corvair-with-Turbocharger-FC-Cylinder-Piston-assy-3838077-/381114092850?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1930-1931-Hupmobile-Model-C-brake-Cable-New-Old-Stock-Original-Others-/381116152182?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

The bargain thing was my lame attempt at a joke. I just bought a nice set of quality brake hoses for my 32 Dodge at a good price. What I was really complaining about is the sudden inability to refine my search on EBay Motors. It allows you - or USED to allow you - to type in the range of years you wanted to view. Now, when I do that, it won't refine the search and I get every car for sale, not just the old ones I've always enjoyed looking at. I've used this feature for years and it suddenly stopped working last nigh and remains broken this morning. I've tried every advanced search option available and nothing works.

Same problem for me. I hope this is a temporary glitch and not one of eBay's "improvements". They really seem to think all the vintage car market requires are car covers, Chinese custom steering wheels and L.E.D. light conversions. I often wonder where all the legitimate sellers of parts for old cars have moved their offerings to. Ebay is better than nothing , but has in my opinion gone substantially down hill over the years.

Greg in Canada

Ebay must have the newest lowest paid programmers in the industry!! They are always putting new "glitches" in and have trouble getting the old ones fixed. Searches also seem to be at the bottom of their priority list if they even have such a list! "Customer service" if you can call it that is of absolutely no help, they just answer the phone and say they will pass the info ( complaint, problem) along to another department. When you see a 62000 item return on a search it is usually because their programming gives up in mid attempt and sends the whole category. Good Luck

There are deals on ebay but you have to find the parts just like at a swap meet. When you go to the Cord guy's tent you pay Cord prices. You go to the Chevy/clean the barn out guy's tent who has alot of stuff to get rid of and doesn't really know what it is, then you may get a deal. Especially if you buy it by the box load.

I sold an awesome Chevy dealer banner from the late 50's over 12 foot long (paper) multi color, in mint condition as it had never been hung for 55.00 the other day. I sold the same thing (I had 2 of them that came in an advertising kit that had some damage) that sold for more than twice that 2 weeks earlier. Ebay has no rhyme or reason. If you have a popular car you will pay a premium amount for desirable parts as there is almost always someone else looking. You can buy nice Hudson and AMC chrome parts NOS for crazy cheap prices. Not everyone on ebay puts crazy prices on stuff. I price my stuff to sell. I want it gone in 7 days. Check my listings and my store out. There are alot of bargains to be had.

I also had the same observations with ebay. I sold some things for a pretty good buck that I was going to toss out if I did not sell it, even as I boxed it up to ship I was shaking my head thinking why someone would pay that much for it. Then I had some items that were really nice/rare that did not bring nearly half of what I expected. I use the same approach, I want to sell it and don't want to look at it in 7 days. The days of swap meets are coming to an end. I only vend at Hershey, mostly for the social aspect and the goal to break even. In the past few weeks I sold on e-bay most of the stuff I had taken to Hershey, and brought back. Might I add without any insulting offers. All it takes is two guys willing to pay more for it.

Over the past few years I have found almost of all the parts I needed on ebay. Again if I needed the part so I had no problem paying the price. I even placed my max bid for what the part was worth to me. There is a big difference if one is searching for the part or searching for a good deal. Overall it is much easier to pay even a few bucks more then it is to drive to a swap meet, hopefully find the part, and then drag it back to your car. Sure the "thrill of the hunt" is not the same.

I have been finding it much more difficult to search things, for example I will search Cosworth Vega cars for sale, and along with 3 or 4 cars for sale there will be a 2011 Silverado Pick-up, I don't get it.

Edited by Biscayne John (see edit history)

Guest Buick56Special

Put what you're searching for in quotes, as in "1956 Buick" and it will narrow down the number of search results considerably and eliminate a lot of the crap. I've sold over 30,000 items on Ebay to people in over 40 countries since 1999 and have seen a lot of changes with them for better and for worse. It's still the biggest marketplace in the world whether you like them or not. What other site reaches over 100 million people in over 100 countries? Good luck....

Put what you're searching for in quotes, as in "1956 Buick" and it will narrow down the number of search results considerably and eliminate a lot of the crap. I've sold over 30,000 items on Ebay to people in over 40 countries since 1999 and have seen a lot of changes with them for better and for worse. It's still the biggest marketplace in the world whether you like them or not. What other site reaches over 100 million people in over 100 countries? Good luck....

I still get a lot of crap even with using quotes. I had to compose some very intrinsic search exclusions to tailor some good searches and then save them in my "followed searches". It took a lot of trial and error to make them work right. There was a time when you searched for a 1929 Henway, that's all you got. If I wanted better results I'd check the include descriptions. I was really upset when they disabled searches with a * to broaden a year range for my searches. Now so much unrelated crap comes up even without selecting the include descriptions option. The last straw the eliminated the ability to earn ebay bucks from ebay motors purchases. I'd buy silver coins with them.

I hate ebay but I still find some good things there at a good price and hard to find items, but no where near as I could before.

Re: eBay Collector Car Section Not Working?

This morning, I also encountered a problem with ebay in setting my car search criteria. I usually click on "ebay Motors", then "Cars and Trucks" then under "Year From/To" I'd click from 1930 to 1955. This usually works like a champ, but this morning it pulled up one car from the requested era, then the rest were modern "junk". This happened to me a year or so ago, I contacted ebay and they had it fixed within 24 hours.

I just now tried my search criteria on ebay motors, and it seems to be working fine.

I've purchased two cars via ebay (1947 Chev. Sedan Delivery and 1950 Crosley Station Wagon) and am pleased with the results.

Cheers,

Grog

when I go searching on ebay, I can get rid of most of the unwanted listings, but not all of them, first i'll type in Pontiac 1953, then I type in -fits, then I switch to parts & accessories, then I switch to vintage parts. and sometimes I'll add -mopar -dodge -Plymouth - Chrysler because the lister of those brands that comes from the northeast doesn't care if you have to look at their stuff that serves you no purpose at all.

when I go searching on ebay, I can get rid of most of the unwanted listings, but not all of them, first i'll type in Pontiac 1953, then I type in -fits, then I switch to parts & accessories, then I switch to vintage parts. and sometimes I'll add -mopar -dodge -Plymouth - Chrysler because the lister of those brands that comes from the northeast doesn't care if you have to look at their stuff that serves you no purpose at all.

That's exactly what I do plus add other things to further clean up the results. I've even excluded a few sellers for that very reason as well.

Sellers are onto the -fits search and now I am having to add -gallon, -quart, and -pint to keep all the paint auctions out of my parts search results. Free listings allow sellers to put multiple ads in listing by car model instead of the old way to list with 'fits' and a bunch of key words on one auction.

Marrage, the birth of my kids, and joining eBay in 1999 are my three life changing events. I'm there to sell, but I have bought some great things over the years, it is the worlds largest swap meet run by NON CAR PEOPLE, and it's worked real well for me. Bob

Ebay used to provide search criteria that included a year range when looking for parts. I own three Packards '41, '49, '50 so I had a search in place for the years 41-50 that would e-mail me the results daily. I included the usual deletes... sellers of generic crap, etc. I would get around 5 - 25 hits a day. I made some useful purchases. Ebay apparently no longer supports a year range so my search started producing something like 300 new listings a day (all years, 1899-1958). I cancelled my e-mail notification since it was now useless. I haven't bought anything off ebay since the change. I know I could initiate 7 searches, one each for '41, '42, '46, '47, '48, '49, and '50 but I won't because I would be flooded with duplicates, which when using the range option were eliminated automatically.

Edited by JD in KC
clarification (see edit history)

ePay has become almost useless. They could care less if the search bring back unrelated items. I don't get why they allow people to say this doomaflobie fits every make ever made when clearly it does not. You should not need 7 lines of code to eliminate 37 different sellers, LEDs, paint and steering wheel covers. They hide behind the computer and are difficult at best to contact. Any other business with these practices would be considered a scam.