OFF TOPIC - Winter Driving

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

So being relatively new to driving in snow and ice I was looking around the internet for some tips. I know the general routine but I was specifically looking for how to control a skid on ice. I must have watched two dozen videos before I came across this one. And wouldn't you know it, although it was made in 1957 (and doesn't even contain a single Buick ;)) it was the most helpful one I found! Thought I'd share. Wish they still taught winter driving in school!

http://<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HPXhvbS0HL0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Guest shadetree77

Oops. Sorry if that's been posted here before. Must have missed it. Actually John, not really. I got here in February of last year and since I wasn't going to school at the time, didn't have much occasion to go anywhere. My wife usually picked up what we needed on her trips to and from work. Couple of months later winter was over. I might have driven 2-3 times in those couple of months. Not much practice. This year I'm getting much more with classes at Baker and volunteer work at the Buick Gallery.

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Great instructional video. For no more snow/ice than we get here, I hate driving in it because people absolutely do not know how to drive in it- even people from areas that get a lot of it can't drive in the stuff we get here.

I wish they'd teach DRIVING period. There are a lot of non-driving people in this world today, and they all have electronic devices distracting them even worse.

I'm sure you are indeed getting a bit more practice but you lucked out some coming here in February as by this time last year my backyard looked like this (and I'm a bit south of you).

post-36036-143142924169_thumb.jpg

My records show we had our 1st measurable snow fall on November 27th 2013 and with no January thaw, stayed until mid April 2014. One unusually LONG winter!

None the less, your statement about teaching winter driving is SPOT ON! :eek:

Continued safe travel wishes to you & Mrs. Shadetree.

First, I have to commend you for taking the time to learn about winter driving. I wish some of the folks around here would do the same. I realize you weren't asking for advice, but one thing I stongly recommend is getting a set of snow tires. The improvement they provide is huge. I'll take a set of snows over 4WD/AWD any day.

Good luck

So being relatively new to driving in snow and ice I was looking around the internet for some tips. I know the general routine but I was specifically looking for how to control a skid on ice. I must have watched two dozen videos before I came across this one. And wouldn't you know it, although it was made in 1957 (and doesn't even contain a single Buick ;)) it was the most helpful one I found! Thought I'd share. Wish they still taught winter driving in school!