Sign in to follow this  
okasan

1955 Chevy Bel Air

Hi everyone, I'm new here. My name is Tina, other wise known as Okasan

I'm here because of my husband. He has a 1955 Bel Air Chevy, that belonged to his Grandmother. Only 2 owners. His grandmother and himself.

He's working on it, keeping everything stock. He needs a carburetor kit. I want to get him one with out his knowledge, but I have no idea where to look for the part no.

Can some one help me out here?

Thank you so much in Advance

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Thank you so much in Advance

Welcome Tina. The word you used above is a good place to start, Advance Auto! You will have to ask your husband if his Chevy has one of those "High Powered V-8's" though, so's he don't figure out what's going on. Us boys like it when the girls talk about high powered motors. If he says yes, a V-8, you can come back to us, and we will get some more horsepower info on the engine to impress him with. Your next birthday present though, may end up being a spark plug wrench or something though, so don't overdo it.:cool:

I'm just messing with you a little. We like to have fun here, and really any Auto Parts Store can help you. You need to know the kind of engine it is. Let us know. Take care, Wayne

When he is not around take a couple of pics of the carburetor. If there is a small brass looking tag near the top of it, the info on that may help the auto parts guy get you the correct kit.

There are only a couple of choices on that car depending on the engine.

You might take several pictures under the hood to help the parts guy. Easy to do with the phones we have these days. You might have to take the air cleaner off to see the carburetor. Its a large round usually black thing on top. It may come off via a wing nut on top or possible a handle sticking out from under that can be unscrewed. The Chevy guys could elaborate on this.

Post any pictures you take here on this forum. You'll get many opinions and we love to look at car pictures!

First, I want to nominate your husband for the "Lucky Man" award!

Second, if the "deception route" is not working out for you, Advance and other parts stores sell gift cards. Just an alternative suggestion, where you talk to him about his car, give him the card; and then, go with him to get the kit and watch him put it on.

I really think it is great if you try to do it yourself. If you run into a road block, you could recruit one of his car buddies to help you.

By the way, another picture we would like to see is a picture of his face when you give him your gift! Priceless!!!

Six cylinder or V8? If it is a V8, is it a 2 barrel carb or 4 barrel? Those were the only choices that year. Of course you could always ask him if you are not planning a surprise. If it was me I would be pleased if you offered to get me one but I don't like surprises.

It might be easier for you to look at the area below the tail light

If there is a letter "V" then the car has a V8 engine,

and if not then it is a 6 cylinder.

tell the parts store which engine, and check with them to see, if it is a V8, if you can bring home the kit for both a 2-barrel, and a 4-barrel carburetor, and then return the one he does not need.

That way you are covered, and he will be pleased that you are so resourceful.