Looking for 1973 Riviera Donor Car in Denver Metro

Guest boulder_boattail

Guest boulder_boattail

Hi All,

I've called all the Denver metro junkyards I can think of and am not finding any boattails around.

Do any of you know where I could find a 1973 Riv parts car in the Denver area?

I'm mainly looking for a front bumper, headlight/turn signal housing and driver door handle. (See my parts wanted ad over in Buick Buy/Sell for details..)

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Welcome to the forum. Take a moment to introduce yourself. If you were a member of the Riviera Owners Assn. you'd be able to see in the classified section of its magazine an ad for a boat tail door handle rebuilding service. There was an inherent problem with these handles so finding a good used one is going to be difficult. There is also an ad in the Parts for Sale section for a couple of boat tail handles as well as a number of ads for boat tails being parted out. The link to the ROA is in my signature.

The CTC Auto Ranch in TX also has quite a few '73 boat tails they're parting out.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest boulder_boattail

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the great info, I just signed up for the ROA. Looks like an awesome community!

My name's Justin, I'm a grad student in Boulder and boat tails have been my dream cars since I was a little kid. (I also love IHC Scouts)

I finally found the right Riv last year for a steal, and she has brought me such great joy.

And now great pain, since I came home from holiday travel to find that someone rammed her.

I look forward to getting her back to nicer shape than before, and am real happy to have found a support group in you guys!

Cheers,

-Justin

Justin,

Thanks for the introduction. As you frequent this site, you'll discover that we're a very friendly group and 95% of the members are on a first name basis. I'm sure that another ROA member will chime in here soon. He's just picked up a '73 boat tail himself and is looking for a couple of things.

You might also try searching all of the Craigslist postings across the U.S. Use the search engine www.searchtempest.com for this. Type in your zip code, how many miles you want for a search radius and select the category you want to search; in your case it would be Auto Parts. The search engine will look over all of the CL postings as far out as you tell it. You'll find out, as I and many other have, that the parts are out there, but they're never close to where you are. So always be prepared to pay for S&H as well as the part.

Sure wish that CU was still part of the Big XII. I loved it when KU would go into Boulder and there would be more KU fans at the basketball game than CU fans. :)

Guest boulder_boattail

That's a really handy search tool, thanks Ed!

Those were some good games to watch, and the KU fans I met at the bars were always classy. Our football team has been in its current dismal state for most of my time at CU, pretty sure we'll start making bowl games again as soon as I graduate and don't get the cheap tickets anymore :)

Cheers,

-Justin

Welcome Justin,

CU has some bad times in football, but KU has had football woes since Ed was in grad school ;). Now basketball is a different story. I don't have any dog in the fight, I went to a school with intramural/club athletics only, but I live here in Kansas now, not far from Ed, and sent a son to KU. I also lived in Longmont, CO for about 10 years, and two daughters went to High School in Boulder.

I was wondering how your car got hurt - that is too bad that somebody rammed her - It is nice to see that you are going to get her back to her former luster.

Rock On

gord

Edited by msdminc (see edit history)

Guest boulder_boattail

Thanks, nice to meet you Gord, and that's a good looking '65!

I have definitely found solace in our basketball team since being here, even ran into Jake Plummer a few times at the bar after our games!

Take care,

-Justin

Gord,

You typed grad school, did you mean that or did you mean grade school. They have been bad for that long but I do remember Curtis McClinton, John Hadl, Gale Sayers, Nolan Cromwell, John Riggins, and the never forgetful 1968 season when KU, quarterbacked by Bobby Douglas, lost the 1969 Orange Bowl when KU was penalized for having 12 men on the field after stopping Penn State on a two point conversion try. When Penn State attempted the two point conversion after the penalty, they were successful and won the game 15 - 14. The only KU player of recent fame is Aqib Talib of the NE Patriots.

One of the ROA members who lives in KS has John Hadl's 1963 Riviera. That car was the signing bonus he got from the San Diego Chargers for the 1962 season.

NOT MINE

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4834784237.html

Hello. I have a 1973 Buick Riviera for sale. Please read the entire ad before contacting me. Serious inquiries only, please.

For sale is a 1973 Buick Riviera. I have owned this car for nearly 10 years. It was running and driving perfectly, until I threw a rod on I25. Prior to that, it was a completely functioning vehicle. After the catastrophic failure of the engine, I parked it and started purchasing parts to repair it. Ive decided I'd like to see it go to someone who can appreciate the car more than I do. If I dont sell it, I will keep it and continue to slowly piece it together. I am in no need to sell it.

Various parts that come with the car:

- Buick 455 and stand. When purchased, I was told it was a GS motor. It has not been verified. I had it checked for cracks and bored. The crank was checked and installed.

- Speedpro hypereutectic pistons on stock rods. Moly rings.

-Head gasket and cam bearings

-Spare TH400 transmission from the aforementioned Electra. The tranny in the car shifts smoothly and runs great, I just saved the transmission from the Electra when I scraped it

- Misc interior and engine pieces, some from the Riviera and others from the Electra that are cross compatible. Things such as a speedometer, heads, intake manifold, nuts, bolts, etc

-Front bumper and most of the chrome body trim

-Receipts from purchases/work I have done

- Owners manuals and Buick Service/Repair Manual

- Title in hand

The bad:

-Other than the blown engine, there isnt much "bad". The car does have some rust on the rear fender, typical of a 40+ year old car. One fender has some old bodywork that cracked. The interior isnt horrible, but the seats do have tears. I repaired some wires in the door for the power windows- the windows worked perfectly after the repair. Ultimately, the car is in decent shape but needs work.

Misc info:

- The rear end that is currently in the car is from an Electra, so it has limited slip

- The blown engine is not the original engine. Also, I do not have the original rear end. Otherwise, as far as I know, the car is original.

Please note- the car has been parked a few years. While all the power windows, power seats, lights and other electrical and mechanical functions worked, due to the nature of the elements I cannot guarantee that they still do. Please be aware of this if interested. I have listed everything I do know about the car to the best of my knowledge. I truly want this car to go to an enthusiast that will fix it up.

I cannot deliver the car. No low ball offers please. I'm probably not interested in trading for anything. If you don't hear back from me, email me again. Sometimes emails get lost. Thank you.