DA door seals

Manuel

Are we talking about Budd or Richards bodies? If we are talking Budd, I was not aware they had any. There is no evidence of them on mine or any I have seen. The exception is at the bottom of the doors, where it appears that something like flat insertion rubber or similar was used. This is attached by metal strips, virtually between the door and the door upholstery card, its purpose is to ensure water from inside the door, when exiting the holes in the bottom of the door, does not find its way inside the car. If anyone can tell us the width of these strips, I would much appreciate it.

John

Hi Bullfrog, not sure what the body is. The only clue he has is that it is All Steel. The channel is as you describe it but at the top of the doors.

Hi Nearchocolatetown, would you have a photo of your petrified seals? It would give us some idea of what the seals look like. Is it rubber or cloth (or both)?

Thanks

Manuel

I have a petrified, rectangular profile seal at tops of windows....then at bottoms and tops of doors I have thin seals that are held in place by metal strips screwed to doors. I can get a few photos maybe next week.....I assume all these are original as I bought the car in '71 and the seals were old back then, but not as petrified. I haven't found a matching profile for the window headers and for the replacement of the thin strips I was thinking of cutting down old tire tubes as the thickness seems the same.

I'll take some pics tomorrow. Might have to get someone smarter then me to post them. It's kind of T shaped but not really. Don't think mine could be a Richards, it's been in PA. all it's life never down under.

Here are the photos....

post-37352-14314292607_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142926071_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142926073_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142926075_thumb.jpg

Excellent. Makes sense now and I now know why the tops of my doors were slightly rusty, just like the photos!!! I gather that the rubber, being sort of T shaped, is held on by that metal, removable panel on the top of the doors?

Many thanks,

John

Thanks John, I appreciate the help posting them. All four doors require the same shape pieces. I've not found this shape anywhere else on a DA or any other DB. Of all the DAs I've looked at my car has the most complete pieces I've found, but they are rock hard and break easily. The second picture is obviously without the metal retainer. You can see the glass exposed. The third and forth have pieces broken off, just wanted to show mounting. The first is complete. There is a piece under the metal retainer to hold it in place. I've looked for these pieces in any and all rubber catalogs. No one seems to have them. I even contacted a Co. that makes and extrudes custom weatherstrips. They seemed hard to deal with and the BBB gave them a bad rating so I gave up.

Not sure this will help render any clues but here is what my DA Panel truck has on the inside edge. A flat metal strip with screws holds it in place. Keep in mind that on the trucks the seal is on the inside edge and not the door itself. Doors on my truck are full metal.

Notice the stitching in the outer cloth material, pretty sure the inside is rubber.

Hope these help. If not let me know and I'll remove my post.

post-69994-14314292682_thumb.jpg

post-69994-14314292644_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142926737_thumb.jpg

post-69994-14314292677_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142926799_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142926809_thumb.jpg

Dave, that is definately different but useful. Looks like the cloth is molded into the rubber? John, don't go on vacation I'll have another picture for you soon. I have a small piece of my seal that I had removed, will show the full profile. It was too D cold in the shop to look for it last night. It has warmed up to 11 degrees today, so maybe I can find it without getting frostbite.

Not sure if this helps or not but there is a guy on ebay.....mopar-direct.......who sells top and bottom rubbers for mopars.

There are photos of the profiles in his listing. These are for a range of years. If all that have posted on this thread could have a look and see what you think and post what you think on this thread as your opinion would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

Looks like the cloth is molded into the rubber ?

Yes, the cloth wraps around the rubber and is stitched down the full length on the inside just before the metal strip that holds it into place. I'll remove a strip of metal and take a better photo if anyone needs more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the top piece of metal off on my '29 DA and shown upside down where the window winds up against the top rubber.....I showed a piece that fell off and it shows a rectangular section w/ a hollow triangular hole all the way through...there are also 2 horizontal "legs" that fit into a channel piece ( the beginnings of which you can see in one photo)....this channel does not extend all the way to the side channels so that the top rubber piece kind of dangles around the curvature of the glass at the ends, but is supported by the top channel at the top and the side rubber channel either side....I hope that makes sense... kinda hard to explain in words.

post-56954-14314294073_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143142940733_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143142940736_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143142940738_thumb.jpg

This piece is at the top of the door where it would hit the body...in the section photo (pretty fuzzy) there is a flat area at the bottom of the rubber (on top of my thumb in photo) that fits against the top of the door...the top metal plate locks this in place....the curving part then rises to create seal between door and body....you can see this in other photo along length of door top....again, hope all this makes sense....the rubber was on the car when I bought in '71, so I assume it's all original....it also crumbles like 85 year old rubber!

post-56954-143142940741_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143142940743_thumb.jpg

Nearchoclatetown, I see that now...initially, I thought the rubber at the top of glass was different, but it's just at a different angle...I can see now it has the same profile.....just hard for me looking at these close-ups sometimes. This looks like it might work for the weatherstrip at the bottom of the doors. http://www.steelerubber.com/side-window-weatherstrip-70-0064-57

Guest DodgeKCL

30Dodgepanel what you've shown and are describing is called 'windlace'. It was put around all doors of all cars and trucks in those days and is still available from Mac's Ford in Tonawanda N.Y. It was usually taupe in color but was sometimes grey. The inside is indeed a rubber tube of maybe 1/2" to 3/4" and the outside is a weaved material sewn tight around the tube. Mac's sells the cloth and assumes you still have the rubber tube. My wife just ran the tube and cloth through her sewing machine to stitch the cloth up close to the tube. Then the flat cloth side is nailed under the upholstery boards,sometimes under the body side,sometimes under the door edges. In my case it was all under the body side. Just as an aside: I do not know anything about a '29DA but some of these cars from Chrysler had no rubber trim on the top of the doors just the water channel. They then had the aforementioned rubber flap on the bottom of the doors. And the windlace on the body at the door openings.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

30Dodgepanel what you've shown and are describing is called 'windless'. It was put around all doors of all cars and trucks in those days and is still available from Mac's Ford in Tonawanda N.Y. It was usually taupe in color but was sometimes grey. The inside is indeed a rubber tube of maybe 1/2" to 3/4" and the outside is a weaved material sewn tight around the tube. Mac's sells the cloth and assumes you still have the rubber tube. My wife just ran the tube and cloth through her sewing machine to stitch the cloth up close to the tube. Then the flat cloth side is nailed under the uphostery boards,sometimes under the body side,sometimes under the door edges. In my case it was all under the body side. Just as an aside: I do not know anything about a '29DA but some of these cars fro Chrysler had no rubber trim on the top of the doors just the water channel. They then had the aforementioned rubber flap on the bottom of the doors. And the windless on the body at the door openings.

Actually, it's called "windlace".

Guest DodgeKCL

God Lord there's windless,windlass and windlace. Who knew? I've changed it and thanks.

In the 1933 Plymouth there is a tack strip around the roof area inside the sedan to tack on the upholstery. It has been known to be twisted heavy paper with carpenter's pencils in it,end to end,flat side to the wall. Maybe 40 of them around as a tack strip and it was original with original taupe Bedford cord upholstery.

• 3 months later...

Howard, yours looks the same as mine. I had contacted someone that advertises making this stuff. Had plans of having some extruded. They gave me a decent price and I was ready to go for about 100 feet so we could all have some. But they lost my sample then I finally looked on the better business site and they had plenty of problems and I gave up.There are plenty of DAs out there that could use some new. Wish someone could make it reasonably. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

1.  Bob Zetnick:  Could you please resubmit the cross sectional photo of your weather stripping you provided earlier?  The detail is blurry. Tks

2.  Has any DA owner tried the weather stripping mentioned earlier in this thread supplied by Mopar Direct with the following cross section?

post-77841-0-97310100-1433465617_thumb.j

Once you guys get detailed photos that you are all happy with along with details of the sizes, I'm sure Mopar direct can produce them. Of course you can always shop around locally if someone wants to take on such a project on behalf of other DB owners.

Price is important but you also want to make sure they are made in the USA or another country who makes quality products and not produced by kids on the cheap in a communist country ;)

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

If you read back, at the start of this thread, I was not even aware if the rubber at the top of the doors. Thanks to Manuel for starting this and everyone contributing, it is all starting to dawn on me what we need. To that end, I have had a sift through my junk and found some samples that I did not even realise I had. I have tried various places in Australia and have not found any yet (including Fitch Rubber in Adelaide). Anyway, attached is a couple of photos and a drawing of what I THINK is required. If anyone has better/different measurements, or can confirm them, that would be good. For the top of door rubber, what I think we need is similar to the "T" rubber used in the channel around the front windscreen, but with uneven top to the "T". Anyway, let's see what others think.

John

post-109601-0-89011300-1433725780_thumb.post-109601-0-84196900-1433725805_thumb.post-109601-0-44828700-1433725844_thumb.

• Like 1