1948 Nash Ambassador Question

Guest papaw

I have been trying for several days to get an answer to what this steel loop at the back of the motor is for. It shifts back and forth but have no idea of what it does or what position it should be in. It is mounted right at the back of the motor at the bell housing. Car is a 3 speed standard with OD. Any one know what this is for?

post-58373-143142917101_thumb.jpg

Well I discovered this loop goes back and forth when you push the clutch in. So it is connected to the clutch so what would the purpose be for this?

Yes, it is. I looked at a 1952 and it had no loop. Got to be some purpose for this. This is on the passenger side and no where near the starter switch.

I don't know but sure wish I could figure it out. I have asked all over and read all shop manuals etc... and can't get an answer. Surely someone knows.

I found a photo of the transmission and you can see the shaft goes all the way across the transmission for the clutch. Now what is the purpose of it???

post-58373-14314292694_thumb.jpg

This is just speculation on my part, but if I had to guess, I'd say that this is a remnant of a vacuum clutch. I had a '48 Chev which had a vacuum clutch, so they must have still been available as an option on some cars at that point. I think Hudson offered them on some models right up to '52. I had a friend that had a '32 Chev which still had a lever on the passenger side of the bellhousing - similar to yours, so, as an option, they had a long life. I imagine that in time they became a leaky nuisance for a lot of folks, thus everything was removed but the arm on the cross shaft. You might check to see if a vacuum clutch was an option on your Nash, but I'm inclined to think that it was.

Both good guess. The car did not have a vacuum clutch to my knowledge but will pull out shop manual tomorrow and read more. I have read it over and over and don't recall anything on vacuum. To convert cars to RHD good thought, but why the loop? I wonder what years this was used on, or if any other Nash owners have this. I posted in the Nash section but no replies.

Pawpaw, you might also look in your owner's manual regarding the possibility of a vacuum clutch as an option. I'm really foggy on this point, but I thought that Hill Holder worked on the master cylinder. Am I just making that up, guys? Hill Holder was a popular Studebaker option, if I recall right.

Today an answer from a Nash person "That lever

adjusts and controls the tension in the clutch pedal." Guess I got to do a little more reading!