1969 CHEVROLET IMPALA SS 427 PROJECT

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 3:14 PM, STEVE POLLARD said:

My parents had a '69 Impala 4 door as well... 327 engine. Prior to getting my driver's permit, I use to drive it up and down our driveway....I had a lot of fun doing that until my father started asking questions about the streaks of burnt rubber markings on the driveway...😉

Steve

Driving it or drag racing it in the driveway Steve?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Steve Pollard. I’d be a little older than you. My burnouts were with Dad’s ‘54 Ford V-8 around 1960. One day he said the rear end is making some noise.  Whoops.  A while later we had a new ‘62 Chev.  Pertaining to this thread in 1975 I bought a ‘69 Impala SS 427  with a poor engine.  I got the engine rebuilt at the local Chev-Olds dealer and they did it right.  The rest of the car was nothing special but did that 427 like to let it out. I don’t think it even had a tach but if you kept your foot in it the shift to  high was at 105 mph.  Quite a car. Sadly I rolled it and parted it out. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the story ! A few years after I got my driver's licence, Dad retired the old '69 Impala ( you can see it in this picture with the plates off ) .... and I purchased a '74 AMC Javelin... I played around in the driveway as well, getting use to the 3 speed stick shift. That came to an end as well, Dad was concern that I might miss a shift and go thru the garage and hit Mom's  pride and joy -  '77 Mercury Cougar XR7.... lol

Steve

image.thumb.png.88887edc2415e78fc2bf0d93daf46646.png

On 4/2/2020 at 8:17 PM, Cured said:

Steve Pollard. I’d be a little older than you. My burnouts were with Dad’s ‘54 Ford V-8 around 1960. One day he said the rear end is making some noise.  Whoops.  A while later we had a new ‘62 Chev.  Pertaining to this thread in 1975 I bought a ‘69 Impala SS 427  with a poor engine.  I got the engine rebuilt at the local Chev-Olds dealer and they did it right.  The rest of the car was nothing special but did that 427 like to let it out. I don’t think it even had a tach but if you kept your foot in it the shift to  high was at 105 mph.  Quite a car. Sadly I rolled it and parted it out. 

Sounds like you were a little rough on the equipment!🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Chris that would be an understatement. In my defence at age 6 I learned to drive in  ‘51 International L-120 3/4 ton. 4 speed no synchro. If you didn’t double clutch you didn’t shift.  There wasn’t any “sport” mode on that truck. I guess I got a little carried away when I graduated to vehicles that you could have fun with. 

On 4/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, chistech said:

Sounds like you were a little rough on the equipment!🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Just got my original radiator back....re cored , media blasted, re soldered and pressure tested...turned out great !  Next up will be a carburetor rebuild and then I should be ready to start up the 427 Big Block.  

Steve

20200611_170224.jpg

• Like 7
  • 3 months later...

I have a question, unrelated to the '69 SS, but related to the '69 Bel Air that I purchased back in the spring. The original rear bumper was pitted and had a few dents ( not detectable from the pictures that I posted )so, I was able to locate a "driver quality" replacement from a savage yard out in Colorado. It's actually really nice...my question is regarding the back side of the bumper, it has rust. Other than scraping it off, has anyone use a specific rust inhibitor on the back side of their bumpers ?

Thanks 

20200924_161306.jpg

20200924_161314.jpg

I have been using Corroseal on some of the rusty areas I can't get cleaned up with any tools. Usually the little nooks and crannies.  I would brush the rust with a wire brush, then brush it on. It will turn black when it dries. Then I would coat it with silver paint. 

Water-Based Rust Converter w/ Easy to apply - brush, roll or spray by  Corroseal - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...