STEVE POLLARD

1969 CHEVROLET IMPALA SS 427 PROJECT

What did you use for new steel on the inner wheel well?  

I didn't do the inner wheel well work..... Jeff and his team at Penn-Dutch did the work..... he is a member here, so he might chime in....

Steve

Just an update from last year.... slow going ( health issues ) but making some progress. I ended up removing the fenders and coating the inside with POR-15.... the firewall,  radiator support , headlight buckets and support brackets were all painted. Remounted the fenders & realigned them as well. Basically I want to finish the front end and go thru all the mechanical's and get the Impala running before moving onto paint. Since the Impala came to me in boxes, I just want to make sure that I have everything and nothing is damage. Slow process but I enjoy it !

Steve

20190810_153805.jpg

20190810_153829.jpg

• Like 1

Steve, Hope you are doing feeling better. Really nice work on the Chevy. Slow is good. John

• Like 1

I really love that car! Doing an awesome job. My first car was a 1966 Impala Super Sport 327. I believe it had a 275 hp motor.

I bought it when I was 17, and I would say that the car was maybe slightly better than your car in it's pre-restoration condition. I paid $200...but that was in 1976. Car was sold a year or two after I bought it, but I still have the original hub caps.

Thanks for sharing your pics. That thing will look great when you're done.

• Like 1

Thanks James.... My other '69 Impala is the 327, but it's the 235HP version...

Steve

20190818_134824.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

John, approximately 2455 of the SS427 package were manufactured... not sure if there is a break down of how many 427 full size were produced for model year 1969.... ( Impala, Caprice, Biscayne, Bel Air, Wagons: Brookwood, Townsman, Kingswood )

Steve

* Note -  Just found some more info...

L-72   ( 427 / 425 )    546 produced

L-36  ( 427 / 390 )    5582 produced

LS-1  ( 427 / 335 )  18308 produced

Edited by STEVE POLLARD (see edit history)

Bumper and lower valence installed & aligned .... I'm in the process of refurbishing the grill which is specific to the SS model.

Steve 

20190901_163111.jpg

• Like 1

What a great car.  If you are looking for any additional parts, I know of about 5 of them in a junkyard here in Virginia (Not  SS427's, of course).

• Thanks 1

I might take you up on that....I'm missing the "catch support bracket", it's the bracket that is located under the hood latch plate ( vertical bracket in picture ) I have a friend looking in his stash of parts... if he comes up empty, I'll contact you via pm.

Thanks !

Steve

20190904_194737.jpg

Steve, sounds good.  Our next trip to the yard is Sep 11th.

-Chris

• Thanks 1

Nice !   Looks like it's basically identical to the '69 model with the exception of the front clip and rear bumper.... the dash is identical as well !

Steve

Edited by STEVE POLLARD (see edit history)

Started with refurbishing of the front grill.....a lot of taping, but worth the results, one more head light bucket and then I'll install them on the SS.

Some pictures.......

Steve

20190907_145922 (1).jpg

20190916_110531.jpg

• Like 2