1969 CHEVROLET IMPALA SS 427 PROJECT

45 minutes ago, hursst said:

possible just mud wasp-related dirt?

That might be.... the picture where I'm pointing my finger at, it looks / feels like straw or hay ?? Maybe nest of some type ?? I feel like I went two steps forward and 5 steps back...

4 hours ago, Mark I said:

plan is a stock/junior stock drag race look from the early 70s

Very cool.... I had the opportunity 10 years ago to purchase a '69 Biscayne ex- drag car. The fellow was friends with Jody Anderson who was President of the National Impala Association at the time. It needed A LOT of work, I ended up going with the Super Sport that I have now.... 

Once I finish up my work rotation this week, I'll give the hose / air gun a try !

Steve

Oh, one of many pictures that I've collected of Biscaynes and Bel Airs....

image.png.ec56664ae2d78052bfdf55bc15a9c5ff.png

• Like 1

That is really cool, I like it - looks really solid ! Small world, tell Jody that I said Hi, made a lot of purchases from him.... I saw his profile over on Facebook and friend requested him, but that was a while ago - maybe he's not on it as much.  I like the air / hose set up Mark, thanks for posting the picture !

Steve

I'm off for the next few days...... my weapon to attack the issue with dirt within the frame.....my old drain snake. I should have no problem in getting this thru.  I'll get the hose later tonight to attach to my air gun. 

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

Steve

20210804_132952.jpg

• Like 1

Late night.....I was able to push the nest thru a stamped hole in the frame using a screwdriver. Next up, the snake....I want to try and get as much of the dirt out as possible before using the air hose set up. 

Steve

20210805_020101.jpg

• Like 3

Steve, my brothers 67’ Olds cutlass frame had a huge mouse nest on both sides of the frame big enough to house all the mice in NY city! They were also up over the headliner. There was so much he gained a tenth of a second in the quarter after he got all the nests removed!🤣. It seems they like this big old GM cars! Thought you might enjoy this picture.

FEE99C8F-F90C-4850-A4C5-DDD27C7702AE.jpeg

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update.....the driver's side frame rail is now clean... I used the hose / air gun set up and it work really well ! Thanks guys for the suggestion ! Now onto the passenger side. This side of the SS has the fuel lines ( 3/8" main line with a 1/4" return line ) , I went ahead and order new lines with attachment clips - naturally the shipment came with the wrong clips and missing the 3/8" line 😕... a email to the company resolve that and hopefully the missing parts will be here by the end of the week. Going to go ahead and remove the lines and see how the inside of the  frame looks like.... will give an update.

Steve

20210807_154107.jpg

20210818_222849.jpg

• Like 3

Late night, almost 3am....so I started with the fuel line removal, started from the engine and work my way back - ran into a road block. The section of the line that goes over the rear end and down to the tank, is held into place by clips that are attached to the top side of the frame. I'm unable to gain access....looking back at the body manuals and pictures,  these lines were install prior to the body being lowered. So I left the fuel line off the section of frame ( between the front and rear tire ) and move ahead with my snake and started to work it back and forth to see if the frame has any dirt / mouse nest etc..  it does. So I'm at the point of working the snake from the front to rear and rear to front to loosen up the packed in dirt. Once I'm satisfied , I'll move onto the air gun  / hose set up.

Steve

20210819_011645 (1).jpg

20210819_011718 (1).jpg

20210820_022603.jpg

20210820_022618.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah John, I know what you mean.....I know the location where the SS came from... started out in Kansas, then Chicago, New Jersey and Maryland. I don't understand the silt issue..... the mouse nest, yeah, I get it... dust storms while in Kansas ??? I don't really know, everything is solid ( floors, trunk etc )

Steve

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark I said:

Just a few holes in the sides.

Mark, I actually was able to stick my little finger in the hole and feel the silt packed in there....the snake is working great, really loosing up everything.... later this afternoon, I'll hit it with the air hose.  Did you spray a rust inhibitor inside your frame rail ?  I was looking at this product:

image.png.7aaab4c8d353b85d027caf83f16beeef.png

Steve

Really enjoying this thread and can sincerely appreciate all the thought and labor - and patience - involved.  In the few cars I have owned over the decades none had a totally boxed frame, but sections, and it seems like it took longer to get it all cleaned out then it did to strip the paint off the fenders and get them in primer!

No one at any car event ( show, cruise night etc) will ever understand the time it took to keep a car the ways it was made, if they knew they would wonder why we did indeed take the time to do so.

Walt

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Mark, I actually was able to stick my little finger in the hole and feel the silt packed in there....the snake is working great, really loosing up everything.... later this afternoon, I'll hit it with the air hose.  Did you spray a rust inhibitor inside your frame rail ?  I was looking at this product:

image.png.7aaab4c8d353b85d027caf83f16beeef.png

Steve, I have used this on my cars. Honestly dont know if it does any good but like you I blew out all of the debris with air and figured that anything was better than nothing.  I used the green stuff. It is very thin and will ooze out of any small opening. The end nozzle fans out the pattern in a 360 and seems to be pretty efficient.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Taking a break from the SS project, been looking for another vintage truck for the past three years and came across another 1969 C20, similar to the one that I had  years ago. All original truck with a 396 engine and a 4 speed ! She is located out in South Dakota and I should have it here in a few weeks. With limited space with the truck coming, I decided to let go the Bel Air, I have listed here on the forum.

Steve

241023126_298510022075382_1346462470514195272_n.png

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Just an update.... The original carburetor on the 427 was in a box when I acquired the Super Sport  6 years ago - I had no ideal of the condition of it, so I decided to have it restored back to factory spec. The membership here suggested  "Sparky's Carburetor Service". It was sent out last June / July time frame and it was completed this week ( 6 month wait time ) - it turned out beautiful, they did find that it had the incorrect primary metering rods. Here are some before and after pictures...

image.png.4e0dafdc350737766e9a73b00cbd65ae.png

image.png.e04020c486ca2e8b8ca128a12f5691ab.png

Once it gets warmer around here, I'll install the carburetor and the NOS gas tank and if everything else goes well, I hope to start her up this spring !

Steve

• Like 4

On 8/2/2021 at 12:44 PM, Mark I said:

Steve,

Jody is one of my best friends. I know the car you describe. It needs a very dedicated owner to put right. I’ve been collecting the 2 door sedan pics myself. Here’s one pic of my Bel Air. Didn’t mean to hijack your thread…

Mark

999F5106-10E8-4CA3-927B-141AEA68FB99.jpeg

Can't remember if you've seen this one before, or not.

Craig

69_Bel_Air.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Wow, that's a beauty !! And it looks like a green interior, that must be very unique.

That car was at the MCACN show in Chicago in 2019.

Here is an article on a '69 Biscayne from the January, 1983 Car Exchange magazine:

CE_83-01-34a.jpg

CE_83-01-35a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Update: I installed the restored carburetor, hooked up the fuel line and started to hook up the vacuum lines when I realized I was missing the line that runs from the vacuum advance to the carb... new line was ordered and came in on Friday. Next up will be the power steering pump / lines and brackets...... once they are clean and painted, I should have it installed this week.

Question: has anyone used " 3M Cavity Wax" for inside your frame ? I posted the Eastwood product above, but just curious about the 3M product.

Thanks

image.png.0b7cc96acf66a395e0f429dadf23d0bc.png

20220418_132438.jpg

20220418_132459.jpg

Edited by STEVE POLLARD (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Customer and good friend had a 1969 427 four speed Biscayne with radio, heater, and anything else that could be deleted that had never been licensed. Spent its life on the drag strip and it showed. When he passed it still brought good money.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's been over a year since my last update....we started to do a lot of remodeling on the house ( my wife has been patiently waiting ) and my friend that has been doing this in his spare time got Covid twice and skin cancer, so everything has been delayed. I have three of my classics packed in a two car garage, so I have no room to work on the SS427, I hope by Spring of next year to get started again...

I have a friend out in Ohio that will be painting the car once all the mechanicals are done ( my job ).

I just picked up a nos driver's side inner fender yesterday ... I can't believe that this stuff is still out there! I believe that I have every part that is needed to put the SS back together.

Steve

image.png.a6eb8a52c898e1efa15ac40666d62dca.png

• Like 8