1953 Olds Chrome Plating

TerryB

I've heard of the problems with 1950's era chrome and the tie in to the Korean War but recently I found a GM factory tag from a 1953 Oldsmobile that my wife's grandfather bought new in Feb 1953. On the tag it outlines the National Defense Program plating process requirements " on some chromed parts on your new Oldsmobile".

Bumpers & Bumper Guards - Exempt from regulations. Plating process and use of high quality materials remains unchanged.

CARE- Clean with damp cloth and mild scouring powder. The application of No.10 motor oil is still recommend to retard rusting.

Other Exterior Chrome Parts-Under Government Regulation-For your protection, these parts are coated with a baked-on clear synthetic enamel.

CARE-Wash ONLY with water and mild detergent. Apply wax frequently. The use of abrasives, steel wool or scouring powder will destroy the protective enamel coating. Refer to page 27 of your owners manual for complete instructions.

Dealers- Do not remove tag.

The tag has GM part number 562344 on its top and a cut out to hang it on the car, possibly on the rear view mirror.

Grandpa had good taste. The car was an S88 model 2 dr sedan equipped with option Group #2, hydra magic drive, tinted glass, power steering and power brakes. Delivered base price was $2479.25, the factory installed options were $702.80, and he was charged $2.68 for anti-freeze installed by the dealer. Total cash price was $3184.73

The same group of papers also show Grandpa traded this car in in 1956 for a new 1956 Olds S88 Holiday coupe with special two-tone paint and white wall tires. Sure wish we had photos of these two cars!

Terry

• 1 month later...

I'm 65 and when I was 16 my grandfather sold me his 52 Olds for $1. He wanted to make it an official sale. It was a 4 dr with a two barrel, but I surprised many a 55 Chevy. The chrome was horrible. Traded it in for a 64 Corvair. I loved that Olds.