20" 7 lug WIre wheels....Question

alsfarms

Does someone have a wire wheel interchange manual that shows which MFG. used the 20" 7 lug wire wheel. The wire wheel version, I am looking for, has the lug nuts under the hubcap and not exposed such as 1929 Nash, Packard and Franklin. Does anyone have a spare 20" 7 lug wire wheel with lock ring? (oh yes, I need several other 20" lock rings also)

Alan

alsfarms AT hotmail.com

Hi Alan, also in one of my catalogs there is a reasonably comprehensive listing for wire wheels up to 31 or 2 . It is also in my big pile of catalogs and Lit. It is quite specific for interchange but does not always state the wheel manufacturer. I am in the middle of home renovations and my once organized old car material has ended up in a bit of a jumble. One of my new years resolutions is to organize it in a file cabinet . I will do my best to find it and make it available to you. I don't think there is too much interchange between bolt on wheels. Most are specific to a given make, model and sometimes year. They are from the era of steadily reducing diameters, and make specific hubcaps. The lock rings tend to be more interchangeable. I don't seem to have recieved your message from the Firestone 27" post.

Greg in Canada

I think a photo of the wheel you are looking for and more importantly which make and model will make things a lot easier. Not sure how many manufacturers were still making 20 inch wheels by 1930 as I think most had gone to 19 inch. Also, the lugs under a hubcap but with lock rings is interesting as that seems to combine a earlier feature, the snap ring, with a later feature the hidden lugs.

Thanks for the responses to the 20" 7 lug wheel search. I do agree, 20" wheels are more typical of 1928-29 and maybe 30. The thing that is odd is the wheels I need to locate to complete a set with have the lugs covered by the hubcap. I have Nash wheels and have seen other makes, Packard and Franklin, that have a small hubcap and show the lugs. I wish I knew that the 20" wheel with a large hubcap is from, I just do not know. However, a very similar wheel only in 19", with large hubcap to cover the lugs is used on the big series Nash from 1930 and 1931 (maybe some of 1932). Does Packard follow suit? I do have a couple of rusted out wheels that I could have 20" rims laced on but would sooner just find some good wheels. Does anyone have spare or usable 20" lock rings?

Al

Alan .

The Graham wheels that I have seen are either way . I will take some pictures of all 3 , disc ,wire with lugs viewable , and wire with lugs behind the hubcap if you like . I think that I have all 3 stored in a couple of different places . You will have to give me a couple of days to get the pictures because we are in the middle of a winter storm now .

Ray

Hello Ray, Thanks for taking the time to respond to my information request regarding 7 lug 20" wire wheels. I am after a couple of wheels of the style where the hubcap covers the lugs. Do you have any extra wheels of this design? Also, please give me a bit of history as to what rim size and style fits what year Graham vehicle.

Thanks,

Alan