New Reatta Windshields Available

AZ_Reatta_Owner

Hi, I was living with a pitted/ cracked windshield on my 1989 Reatta for some time, since I believed that new windshields were either unavailable or very expensive. I contacted Pilkington Classics recently, was surprised to find that they stock Reatta windshields. I ordered mine through a local auto glass place, it was received and installed for a total of $600.

Was that installed price on an insurance claim? I ask because Pilkington has been the sole source of new Reatta windshields for years now, but the price (retail) is usually north of $1200 sans labor. If they are now selling for half that - installed no less - it is quite a significant reduction in price. If that is the case, I may consider buying one to mothball as a spare.

KDirk

When I replaced my windshield this past summer, a Pilkington Classics, it was covered under the comprehensive part of my auto insurance. It only cost me my $100. deductible. I did ask the manager of the shop the retail value of the windshield; he told me in the neighborhood of $1200. but that the shop paid "substantially" less.

Kevin, did you ever find out if you could just buy one from PC for under $600.?

No, I suppose I need to call Pilkington and see. My guess is the OP is looking at what they paid out of pocket (with insurance) and not the actual retail price. Missouri, for example, does not mandate that insurance cover windshields as a zero cost item with comprehensive coverage. So, you pay your deductible at a minimum to get one on a claim. I speculate that is the case here (or a typo) as I can't see the price having dropped that much.

KDirk

Guest spongebob

My daughters mother in law works for a glass shop, so I asker her to look up a windshield

for my Reatta, she said $2000 and none are available.

Guest Richard D

Several years ago mime was cracked by a dump truck in the lane next to mine. It had no tire flaps behind the rear tires. I got the company name and called them and was basically laughed at, saying that unless I had a video of it happening they were not responsible. When I mentioned it to my insurance agent (State Farm) they had a Safelight van at my house the next day and he installed a new Pilkington windshield and asked me to sign the invoice, the total cost was over $1,800.00 with no deductible, a state law. When I questioned the amount the installer said, what do you care, it is not costing you a cent. When I tried to explain why insurance rates are so high os because of bills like that. I should have been talking to a brick wall he didn't understand. When I told my agent he pulled the invoice and at the bottom was something like, exotic vehicle windshield, surcharge $800.00. He told me it happens all the time and many insurance companies are fighting it in court. That is what I paid for the car before paint, mechanical work, etc. Outrageous.

Richard.

Bill,

Was that 100% cash out of pocket, or with insurance carrying part of the cost? I ask because $1000 installed is about half of what has been the typical price to do a Reatta windshield for several years now. If that is the case, it is welcome news.

KDirk

Guest Reatta1

I need a new windshield in my 88. Worked through my insurance co, glass shop ordered windshield and was told it would take 90 days to get. When it came in it was flawed so had to be re-ordered. Meanwhile we headed south for the winter so won't know anything till we get back in March. Was not told what company the glass was coming from, just that it was back east. If I remember correctly, they said around $1200. With my deductible it will cost me $50.