KING PIN REMOVAL

ILIKECARS53

Need some help on a 1942 Buick Limited. Want to remove the front king pins. Have a 1942 manual but no help on removing the king pins. Have located the small pin which hold the king pin in place, but which way do you drive the small pin out. out the front or towards the back?

also does anyone know if the 1941 manual has more info on this. there is more info on the radio than on the front end in the 42 manual.

thanks in advance Jim

If there is a nut to hold that cross pin in, you drive the pin away from the nut, or threaded end. The cross pins are usually tapered and if you are lucky, you can tell which end of the pin is the smaller. You drive from the small end.

They are usually very tight and it is easy to mushroom over the end - then you are in trouble. Take it easy.

I just found my notes for removing the pins on my Packard: toward the back on the right side of the car (passenger side) and toward the front on the left side. Again, don't know if it's the same on Buick, but its not that difficult to find out. The most difficult part for me was that I didn't realize it was tapered, and tried to send the first one out in the wrong direction. Simply start tapping in the other direction.

One other thing: Keep track of any spacers/washers between the knuckle and the thrust bearing. On my car, the new thrust bearing was a little taller than the old and would not allow for proper fit, and the new spacers were not properly sized either. Because the old bearing and spacers were perfectly good, we decided to reuse them.

This is what the steering knuckle looks like on the Packard. Compare with your Buick.

post-33613-143142926898_thumb.jpg

post-33613-1431429269_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Thanks to all for your help. 1942 Buicks (not sure about other years) do not have a nut holding the pins. They are flush to the knuckle on both side. Used a pick to get the 73 years of grease out of the way and could see that one end of the pin is smaller than the other. Had to drive out from back towards the front. Used a brass punch and a big hammer to get it out. Had to do the same to get the king pin out ..... brass punch and big hammer. Tomorrow will do the other side. Thanks again to all.