Side Window Replacement

I am doing a frame off on a '56 Ford Fairlane Sunliner. I am trying to replace the side windows. I have them out, but cant easily get the stainless/chrome frame off of the glass itself. The door glass has a 3-sided surround, and the rear quarters are completely surrounded. Any ideas?

Just keep GENTLY tapping on the edge of the frame where it meets the glass. Use a block of hardwood like oak and a fairly light weight hammer. Sooner or later it will begin to work off. A little WD 40 sprayed all along the edge won't hurt any. Let it soak into the packing for a day before you try the removal technique mentioned above. ~ hvs<p>[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

Thanks for the reply! One of the problems with trying to do it that way is that the frame for the front windows, for example, are one piece. In other words, they back and top are connected, so I am not sure I can tap it off and not bend it. Also, not sure but the rear frames *MAY* be riveted?<BR>I will definately try, particularly the WD-40.<BR>Thanks!

<B>REMEMBER---GENTLY! </B><P>Don't try to do it all in one place. start at one corner and do a few light taps. Then move along a few inches and tap again.<P>Then go to the opposite side and repeat the process. Then tap a little on the top, always moving along.<P><B>BE CAREFUL AND GENTLE. DON'T RUSH. IF NOTHING GIVES AT FIRST USE MORE WD 40 AND LET IT SIT AGAIN.</B> ~ hvs