Metz crank size

Luv2Wrench

I can't remember if this has been posted before... but I'm wondering if the crank diameter where the connecting rods are is the same as the Model T?

If so, can I replace my pistons and connecting rods with Model T pistons and connecting rods? I'm looking at the forged rods from Snyders as they have insert bearings. I'll probably get the aluminum pistons. Any thoughts?

The Model T pistons fit the Metz. They just require some jiggering for the pins to fit. Consider Egge. They adapted the T pistons for me in their shop at a low cost. I'm sure they could tell you if their T rods will fit the Metz. Aluminum is what is used today for pistons, and they work well. No one makes iron pistons that I know of.

Phil

Thanks for the reply Phil.

So you were able to keep you existing rods and wrist pins, correct? It appears on the Metz 22 the wrist pins are press fit into the piston. How does that work for the Model T pistons?

I just measured my crank and it appears to be just less than 1.25" and I think that is about right for the Model T crank.

Yes, I used the original rods, but got new wrist pins. I may be wrong, but I think the Model T wrist pins have a pin(s) holding them into the piston, and the Metz uses snap rings on the ends of the pins. Anyway, the T pistons are adaptable for the Metz pins. I think Egge charged me $40 or so for the work. I don;t know the dimensions of the T rods, but you can get one cheap to check it out (there's one on eBay now for $7.99).

Phil

Just to be clear. Model T pistons (with a little fitting work) will work in the model 22 Metz. The model 25 Metz has a slightly larger bore, an increase of 1/8 inch from 3 3/4 to 3 7/8 inch bore. A special oversize T piston could probably be ordered for a model 25 block provided the model 25 block did not itself need to be bored significantly oversize also. There are probably other pistons available that could also be used for a model 25 Metz.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2