Sign in to follow this  
1935Packard

Young people can't fix things anymore (and what it means for our hobby)

Hi Wayne where are a listing of the seminars at the annual meeting . I will be there ,My Granddaughter will be there to see is getting a award . Hope to get to talk to you there. Howard

Benefits of AACA Membership.

They are not finalized yet Howard. Headquarters will be working hard next week after this holiday to help get everything in order, and Pat Buckley will probably post the schedule soon there after. See you there.

Several things.

It is true that most young people do not know how to fix anything, and have no interest in learning. There are exceptions, but that is just what they are, exceptions.

But it isn't always their fault. I have a couple of appliances at home (shampooer, floor cleaner, etc.) that simply need a part, and I would fix them. But the manufacturer does not have spare parts, I can't find them on Ebay or online. So they sit there not fixed because I don't feel like spending $150 for a new one when all it needs is a $20 part I could easily put on myself. Eventually I will give up and give in, but for now they are still sitting there.

I also have a fiber optic Christmas tree. It is discontinued, and it looks different than most of the rest of them and I really like it. Amazingly, I was able to get parts for it from the manufacturer. However, with parts and shipping, it cost me $88.00 to repair the tree that I paid $29.99 for. In this particular case, I did it because I wanted that specific one fixed. But otherwise it would make no sense to pay almost 3 times what you could buy a new one for to fix the old one.

As for my Lincoln, I will try to repair simple things myself or with help from a friend. But I also have no desire to spend several weekends trying to fix something a mechanic could do in a few hours. I would rather spend the time driving and enjoying the car.

Back when the Philadelphia area was a manufacturing center young people got into apprenticeships and learned a trade, many related to auto work. When they had slow periods they worked on cars,sometimes not going back to the main jobs. Now that those factory jobs are mostly gone the new jobs start with internships or fancy computer work where they start at the bottom and don't advance far. There aren't many fall back jobs either like construction or truck driving.

How many computer analysts can you fit in the back of a pickup truck? Two, with their lawn mowers.