Flaring Tool?

John N. Packard

Hi John,<BR>Finally getting around to the brakes I see.<BR>The tool I recomend is the Master Brake flair kit. You can find it at <A HREF="http://www.mpbrakes.com/ac71300.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mpbrakes.com/ac71300.htm</A> <BR>My friend has one that he bought from the Snap on man and it is the only tool that makes good double flairs with no cracking.<BR>Its probably 300 bucks but it pays for itself. You will need it on those stainless lines.<BR>Good Luck<BR>Bill

Suggestion.<BR>Why not just buy the ready made stainless lines. Could be cheaper. If you check hemmings thee are several vendors who make the brake lines. If they don't have your model on file, they may even give a discount to copy your lines. They did this for my 40 Buick.<BR>Kent Moore speciality tools also made a flaring tool kit, excellent for the double flares.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

John: When I did the brake system on mine, I took the old lines to the local Brake shop (not a midas one, a REAL brake and clutch shop). They replicated the lines for a cost of around $80. That was the two fronts, line going to rear, and two lines to rear drums. A lot cheaper than buying the tools and materials to do it. And his flares are perfect.

• 1 month later...

Snap-On makes a very good set of double flaring tools that work with any hardware store flaring tool. I have used these on all my cars and one with stainless lines. These small inserts set me back maybe $35, but that was 8 years ago or so. They are small and very easy to lose, but they are great for making perfect double flares. Single flares will not work for brakes.