A Carburetor Question

Curti

Guest johnwashburn

If it is a Carter or Stromberg there is a special tool for removal of these lead Balls.

If you can tell me the carb, application, and year might be able to shot a picture of the correct tool.

John Washburn

There were/are several different specialty tools available.

For the most part, Carter used aluminum and brass tapered drive plugs; so assuming you are referring to Stromberg and/or Rochester.

For the lead balls ONLY, one would drill a small hole in the center of the lead ball. Then insert a tool that resembles a wood screw (tapered thread) with a slide hammer on the other end. Once the tool was threaded into the ball, the slide hammer was used to remove the ball.

For the brass and aluminum drive plugs used by Carter, a different tool was used. Will describe as best I can:

Start with a piece of 3/8 inch hex steel bar. Cut the steel bar on the "bias" at approximately a 45 degree angle. Now cut a Vee in the sharpened end. To loosen the drive plug, CAREFULLY place the Vee of the sharpened end against the side of the head of the plug, and tap the tool with a hammer. Do this from all 4 sides. This should be sufficient to deform the sides of the soft drive plug, so that one could then drill the lead hole and use the threaded tapered slide hammer.

If one looks at this link: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carter_tools.htm

The first tool described is similiar to T109-178.

The second tool described is T109-43 (the rectangular steel bar pictured superceded the earlier hex steel described above).

Zenith used tapered steel and aluminum drive plugs. One may use the second description on these.

Jon.

When rebuilding a carb, I find it to be a good idea to insure that all of the passages are clear and clean. A pipe cleaner works for me.

1/8 lead balls are available from McMaster Carr. I drive them in with a small punch and tack hammer.