W/S wiper motor

Hey guys, can you help me? I am having problems with my wiper motor on my 48 Buick. It doesn't work at all. What are the proper connections for the vacuum pump, intake manifold and wiper motor? How do I tell if it is the motor (Trico) itself that is defctive and where can I get it repaired or a repacment? Thanks. Charlie in Texas confused.gif" border="0

Charlie,<P>Have you checked and tested for vacuum coming from the vacuum section of the fuel pump to the wiper switch on the dash? Then test from the switch to the wiper motor itself. Other than loose or aged cracked hoses, it's basically the fuel pump, wiper motor or dash switch that will fail. <P>If you find it's the fuel pump, I recommend sending it to Authur Gould in NY. He can be reached at (613)-754-5010 If your wiper motor is a fault, send it to Rob Ficken at Ficken Wiper Service also in NY at (516)-587-3332. These are the best two guys I know of for rebuilding service.<P>Hope this helps you, Rick

One way I use for telling if my wiper motor is working is to connect a piece of vacumn hose directly to the intake manifold. If the motor is working even at idle, the wipers will move.<BR>The connections on my 47 and 50 go from the intake manifold to the front connection on the top of the fuel pump. The back connection goes to the wiper motor. Check the rubber hose carefully along the firewall, I have found them to be rotted.<BR>Bill

One way to test the wiper motor itself is to hook it to a vacuum pump (I use an old air conditioning evacuation pump) and see if it works. One that is good should run at 7 inches of vacuum (if I remember right) and be strong enough that you cannot stall it by holding the shaft with your hand.<BR> Bill