Sources for 7.50 - 19 wide whitewall tires?

HI,

I am thinking about getting a new set of tires for my '29 Duesenberg. I really like the style of the tires that are on it now, an older set of double white walls with 5" white walls and small ribs placed radialy between the white wall and the tread. Looking on the Coker website, I see that they have a Firestone 7.50 19 double whitewall, but I don't particularly care for the aggressive looking tread on the side of the tire. And I would like a wider whitewall.

Does anyone know if there are some alternatives to the Firestone at Coker?

Thanks, Joel

Here is the Firestone:post-39157-143142899467_thumb.png

Here is my existing tire:

post-39157-143142899494_thumb.jpg

Hi Joel, you know when white walls offered in 1929 they had a white wall on both sides of the tire. Check out Diamond Back tire company. It was not until 1939 that tires came with a white wall only on one side.

Personally I think your Dusey would much classier with black walls, but that is a blond brunette thing.

Merry Christmas

Curt

John Klien has a set of the authentic reproduction Firestones on his J convertible victoria (he usually has the car at the ACD Festival) and they look exceptionally nice. John has single whitewalls, though 99% of the whitewalls of the period would be double whitewalls. Actually, if you look at original Duesenberg pictures you will see that a fair majority of the cars have the Firestone Double Whites that are now reproduced by Coker - it is the proper tread design for a 19" Firestone in the early 1930's.

As a second option Lucas tire should have Bedford double whitewalls - I installed a set of 18" doubles on a 1932 Packard Twin-Six and was most pleased with the look and the new owner praises the ride.

If you like the tires that are on your car perhaps if you called they may have a set around - they are nice tires, though that particular tread pattern does not show itself in period pictures in a 19' tire.

P.S. Blackwalls do not last too long around our house (and I am actually in the process this/next week of swapping a set off blacks from a newly purchased Auburn 852 Phaeton) - whites were a "thing" just like the cars themselves (aka my dog is better than your dog, keeping up with the Jones', and all that jazz).

Also, keep in mind that metal tire covers are usually a bear to get "proper" sized tires into (aka you may need a 7:00 in the sidemount vesres a 7:50) or nominal (ex. 10lbs) tire pressure may solve the issue.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies!

Kurt, Justin, in regards to the classics, I'm a die hard wide whitewall guy. Kind of like in muscle cars, some guys like the taxicab wheels and dog dish hubcaps on their otherwise flashy cars, and some of us (especially me) like the fancy, shiny wheel option.

Yes, double whitewalls for sure.

Universal Tire says the mold for the Lester is damaged, and it could be quite a while before it is repaired and they produce any more tires.

So, you say the deep treads on the outer sidewall are authentic? That does make sense, most of the tires in the really old photos do look like that. I suppose I like my old tires better just because I am used to them. You know how it is when change is proposed on something that you love just the way it is... I suppose I could get used to them...

The Bedford and the Firestone have similar looks. The Firestone has a wider white wall, so I think I shall order a set of those.

Thanks for the help. Joel

• 6 months later...

I ended up getting the firestones. I got the tires from Summit Racing, of all places. I have a pro-shop account there, which dropped the price lower than the antique tire dealers, plus I had a 10% off coupon that Summit occasionally hands out at events.

I got tubes with bent nickel stems from Lucas. I haven't mounted them yet.