SilverRiv63

Riviera Logo / Script File?

Hey Guys,

Here is a large Riviera logo. I traced it off the Plaque from the picture you sent.[ATTACH=CONFIG]287637[/ATTACH]

Thanks 63 Red Riv! I used your script file here and CAD to produce my own version for my son. I just got it today and I think it looks great.

image_zps0529fb0c.jpg

image_zps8256bd6f.jpg

• Like 1

At the request of several other Riviera owners, I worked with the trophy shop owner to get a more precise reproduction plate (dimensions more accurate with the original). Here's the final result:

post-104161-143142964883_thumb.jpg

If anyone else is interested in a similar plaque, here's what you do:

1) Get permission to use the Riviera logo for your private use. I contacted the GM Heritage Center and they have no problem with people using copyrighted GM material for personal use. You can email Peggy Kelly at margaret.p.kelly@gm.com and request a "No Objection to Use" form. Be sure to include details of what you intend to do and clearly state that this is for personal use.

2) Contact the Trophy House in Burnsville, MN (3140 Highway 13 W., Burnsville, MN 55337). I worked with J. Kevin Kennedy at info@trophyhouseonline.com. If you mention the Riviera plate, he'll know what you are talking about. He will need the name you want on the plate and he'll send you an electronic proof to verify before producing anything. Cost will be around $25 plus shipping.

I'm very happy with the reproduction plate and I hope this helps a few others get their own custom plaque. If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to try and help.

post-104161-14314296488_thumb.jpg

The reproduction looks really good. Is your name etched in the metal or printed on the surface? Many moons ago, someone in the ROA was making these available but you had to do your own engraving. The problem with that was that the metal from which their repos were made were not solid and the etching looked funny. Your name looks too good to be etched, but it really does look good.

Ed

I got my name plate in the mail and put it on my console.....it looks great! Thanks

for getting these plates tooled up!

Glad to hear they turned out well for you. I was hoping others would be pleased with the results. Care to post a pic of your plate on your console?

I got my name plate in the mail and put it on my console.....it looks great! Thanks

for getting these plates tooled up!

I received mine last week and installed it over the weekend. Looks Great! Thanks for getting this endeavor started, I really appreciate your foresight to make this happen. The Trophy House was also very professional to deal with.

Ed,

You are correct. Anytime a logo is used and there is money involved, they want their royalty payment. We make regular payments to GM as a part of an ongoing program. And as explained above, GM allows personal use on a case by case basis. It is always best to ask first. It is not nice to mess with mother nature!

Here are some pics of my new reproduction plate on my console. I have been doing some

research and have determined that the 65 Riviera dash plates were different than the 63 plates. The 63 plates say "built expressly for" while

the 65 plates should say "custom built for". Check out the picture on page one

of this thread of the plate with the name "Violet Frankenstein". Note in the picture that the Violet Frankenstein plate is installed crooked and a little low on the console. This was obviously sloppily installed by either the dealership or the original owner, not by the factory. That plate is on a 1965 Riviera and says "custom built for". Other than the

wording the plates are the same for all three years. Please note the placement of the plate in my pictures. This is exactly where the plate

was installed by the factory on special order 1965 Rivieras and is the correct

exact placement. I have not been able to determine yet which wording

was used on the 1964 plates.....perhaps someone with an original plate

on a 1964 model can chime in.

post-102001-143142985256_thumb.jpg

post-102001-143142985261_thumb.jpg

post-102001-143142985266_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

I'm really glad to hear that the plates are working out for others. To answer Ed's question above, the plates are "Laser Etched AlumaMark".

Here are some pics of my new reproduction plate on my console. I have been doing some

research and have determined that the 65 Riviera dash plates were different from the 63 plates. The 63 plates were satin silver, while the 65 plates were a light satin gold color. Also in 65 the wording was changed to read "custom built for" instead of "built expressly for". My Dad's 65 had the dash plate on it from the factory as it was a special order car. If your car was bought off the lot, you had to order the plate and the dealer would put it on for you when it came in. As far as my repro is concerned, I

like the satin silver background better as it matches the silver around the shift lever. There is nothing

gold on the inside of my car so the silver looks better. The original gold in my dad's car looked very

nice with the saddle interior. Any of you wanting to order one for your 65 might want to have them

change the wording to "custom built for" and have them use a light gold tinted metal for the background if your are a stickler for correctness. I am happy with my plate and will go with it as is.

That looks great! I agree the silver does look better with your interior. I can't wait to get the Riv out this spring and add Adam's plate to it. Thanks for the pics Seafoam!!!

Tim

If someone with a 64 Riviera has an original plate on their car, please let us know what the correct wording is for a 1964 model...thanks, Winston

Bumping this to the top.....we still need to know what is the correct wording on the 64 dash plate......Thanks. Also, please reread post number 34.....I have corrected some errors in my original post.

I found an obituary on Violet Frankenstein....she was the only woman by that name in the U.S. She lived in Phoenix Arizona and was the wife of Jerry Frankenstein. She passed away in 2007

at the age of 80. She was 38 years old when she bought her new 1965 Riviera....RIP.

Interested in getting a plate with my name engraved on it for 1963.

Has anyone else had these done by Trophy House on line or any other source they would recommend.?

Cheers

Rodney

Like Ed stated, the old plates were engraved. Up 'till the 90's one could still find a trophy shop with an old school Leroy type engraver and have it done, sin Riviera logo.

The old expired font was similar to "Connected Script". I used to use Leroy lettering, drafting for a telephone company during college break. Remember print shop?

Gone is that human tactile interface. :mellow: Cursive is no longer taught in school. Will the next gen be able to read the plates?

Soon we can print/build a whole Riviera with the touch of buttons. Scary.

Flat-engraving-machine-Presidium-_57.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PWB said:

Gone is that human tactile interface. :mellow: Cursive is no longer taught in school. Will the next gen be able to read the plates?

Kind of off topic but addresses the comment.  When I retired from teaching, I did some substitute teaching for a couple of years.  I would leave encrypted notes for the teacher by writing in cursive.  I never had to worry about the students knowing what I said about them.

• Like 2

- On topic might be to pay homage to the original assembly men whom built the Rivs.

A more accurate plate made today may state:

"Bequeathed to..."

Or "Restored for..."

Burn the best tattoo in

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Rivdrivn said:

I rather enjoy mine.

IMG_6121.JPG

I take it you've taken possession of Silver Arrow I or Silver Arrow II.  :D

• Like 1

I'd like to have one made to say "Screwed up by"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jsgun said:

I'd like to have one made to say "Screwed up by"

Now that's FUNNY!

Just bringing this back to the top, can anyone flick a picture of the Riviera, Built Expressly for ...... plate fitted to the 1963 console? Thinking to fit mine below the ash tray but would like to see where others were installed. No big deal, but like to get it close?

When I bought my car from the original owner, he had his plate centered between the light and wiper switches.  From what I've seen over the past 35 years, it was owner's discretion as to where to mount it.

8 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Just bringing this back to the top, can anyone flick a picture of the Riviera, Built Expressly for ...... plate fitted to the 1963 console? Thinking to fit mine below the ash tray but would like to see where others were installed. No big deal, but like to get it close?

Rodney,

Here are three pictures. One is a shot of the plate in my 63 and another is a shot of where the plate is shown on the actual application card a new Riv owner got. They look to be in the same location. I also threw in a shot of the other side of the application card.

Bill

IMG_2866.JPG

Riviera ID Plate 1.jpg

Riviera ID Plate 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1