Riviera Logo / Script File?

SilverRiv63

Anyone know where I can find an electronic image of the "Riviera" script? I found a local trophy shop that can reproduce the "Built Expressly for..." plaque I found in our 63 Riv. I'm working on this car with my son and I'd like to reproduce this plaque with his name engraved. For best results, the trophy shop owner would like to have a high resolution image of the "Riviera" script.

post-104161-143142898944_thumb.jpg

Anyone know where I can find an electronic image of the "Riviera" script? I found a local trophy shop that can reproduce the "Built Expressly for..." plaque I found in our 63 Riv. I'm working on this car with my son and I'd like to reproduce this plaque with his name engraved. For best results, the trophy shop owner would like to have a high resolution image of the "Riviera" script.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]287628[/ATTACH]

When your trophy guy gets the setup done, get him to make me one for my car as well and I will pay you whatever is needed

for the cost and the shipping. the name on mine needs to read Winston L McCollum. Thank you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]287628[/ATTACH]

The logo is a piece of cake.....Google search Riviera logo and then click on images. Scroll down and you will find an electronic

picture of the Riviera logo for the Riviera Owners Association. He should be able to use that image.

Someone was reproducing these at one time a long time ago. I bought one and had it engraved and it didn't look as good as the original that came in my car. I don't know what kind of materials were being used for the reproductions, but when you had it engraved, there was an ugly color of metal that showed through the engraving. The original was one color all the way through. When you're having your trophy shop make it up, be sure to keep this in mind.

Originally you sent the plate back to Buick to have them engrave it for you. All original plates were done in the same elaborate script. I couldn't find one quite as elaborate when I had mine done. But, that was long before technology is what it is today.

Ed

The logo, just like the fender scripts, changed a few times over the years. You'll notice some R's are closed, others aren't. To be truly faithful to the year, you'd want to match the one that's original. No one is going to take them out of the cars, hold them next to each other, and compare them so "don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff."

Ed

I agree Ed, I think the variations are slightly different due to the application. Engraving like the " Built Expressly for..." Plaque, had its limitations as far as scripted fonts. I think its cool all the slight differences things had back then. With todays computers every thing is an exact clone.

Brian

Edited by 63 Red Riv (see edit history)

One odd thing about the 65 Riviera is that the "R" on the Riviera script on the front fenders has an open loop while the Riviera emblem on the tail panel has a closed loop on the "R". I never could understand why Buick did that.

Someone in marketing needed job security

Thanks to all who chimed in on the Riviera script. I ended up "borrowing" the logo from the ROA (of which I am a member) and stripped away everything but the "Riviera" script. From my perspective, that matched almost exactly what I was looking for. We couldn't find an exact match for the owner's name but picked a fancy cursive font that will hopefully look good. I hope to pick up my plate tomorrow or Wednesday and will post pics of the original and the reproduction side by side. I'm sure you'll be able to spot the differences between the two but I hope my reproduction will add a nice personal touch.

I'll also inquire about making plates for anyone else who may be interested. I promise an update once I have the new plate in hand.

Not to put a damper on your project, but . . . just saying:

Be very careful when utilizing copyrighted material, (...logos, or logo type), - a corporation or an individual entity has invested a lot of time and money to control the use of their material and ensure that it will not be used improperly. Some form of permission is usually required to utilize copyrighted material, or a facsimile of the copyrighted material, no matter what the intended use of the copyrighted material might be !!

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

I believe that Buick and GM have more important things to worry about than someone reproducing an emblem for their car's

console that they quit making 50 years ago for a car model they quit making 16 years ago. Their legal department is too busy processing

ten million dollar claims for ignition switch related deaths to worry about a hobbyist making a couple of dash emblems.

• Like 1

I believe that Buick and GM have more important things to worry about than someone reproducing an emblem for their car's

console that they quit making 50 years ago for a car model they quit making 16 years ago. Their legal department is too busy processing

ten million dollar claims for ignition switch related deaths to worry about a hobbyist making a couple of dash emblems.

Believe whatever you want Winston, my intention was just to make you aware of the legalities of using material that is legally owned by someone else !!

• Like 1

Ta a bunch of lawyers a buck is a buck. I know that Ray had to get permission to use the Buick name and Riviera name for the Riview. Perhaps Jeff from CARS can tell us what he's done and what it might take to get blessed. Why take any chances.

Ed

As I recall, a few years back a Ford antique auto parts supplier incurred a lot of headaches from Ford corporate attorneys because he was using the name Ford in the title of his business, or something to that effect. Better off playing it safe.......nothing is ever easy!

• 3 weeks later...

I promised an update and I finally have one. There's nothing like the threat of legal action to kill a thread.

I emailed GM Heritage Center (gmhc@gm.com) letting them know what I intended to do and requested permission to use the Riviera logo. My request was forwarded to GM Global Brand Licensing who sent me a very nice reply granting permission for personal use (they were also kind enough to send along several Riviera logos as well as some stock photos of the 1963 Riviera to help in my project). Naturally, GM could not grant blanket permission to use the Riviera logo but other enthusiasts could follow this same approach to get permission for their own personal plates. I received an official (albeit somewhat generic) "No Objection to Use" form which means I can safely post my final results:

post-104161-143142928388_thumb.jpg

The end result isn't an exact replication of the original but it was close enough for my purposes (and my son was thrilled). If desired, the design could be tweaked to more closely match the original. The only exception is the font used for the actual name. We could not find an exact match to the font used on the original plate so we picked a "fancy cursive" font that was as close as possible.

If anyone else is interested in a reproduction "Built Expressly For" plate, let me know and I can put you in touch with the trophy shop I used. If you are looking for a more exact reproduction, I could drop off my original plate and work with the shop to fine tune the design.

• Like 1

Guest DRM500RUBYZR1
I promised an update and I finally have one. There's nothing like the threat of legal action to kill a thread.

I emailed GM Heritage Center (gmhc@gm.com) letting them know what I intended to do and requested permission to use the Riviera logo. My request was forwarded to GM Global Brand Licensing who sent me a very nice reply granting permission for personal use (they were also kind enough to send along several Riviera logos as well as some stock photos of the 1963 Riviera to help in my project). Naturally, GM could not grant blanket permission to use the Riviera logo but other enthusiasts could follow this same approach to get permission for their own personal plates. I received an official (albeit somewhat generic) "No Objection to Use" form which means I can safely post my final results:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]290137[/ATTACH]

The end result isn't an exact replication of the original but it was close enough for my purposes (and my son was thrilled). If desired, the design could be tweaked to more closely match the original. The only exception is the font used for the actual name. We could not find an exact match to the font used on the original plate so we picked a "fancy cursive" font that was as close as possible.

If anyone else is interested in a reproduction "Built Expressly For" plate, let me know and I can put you in touch with the trophy shop I used. If you are looking for a more exact reproduction, I could drop off my original plate and work with the shop to fine tune the design.

Looks very good!

Kindly PM me the info for the Trophy Shop, as I think one would look great somewhere in our 70.

Your persistence paid off, and you got what you wanted!

Thanks!

Marty

It looks great. Unless it's held side by side up against an original, no one would be able to tell the difference.

Ed

I promised an update and I finally have one. There's nothing like the threat of legal action to kill a thread. I emailed GM Heritage Center (gmhc@gm.com) letting them know what I intended to do and requested permission to use the Riviera logo. My request was forwarded to GM Global Brand Licensing who sent me a very nice reply granting permission for personal use (they were also kind enough to send along several Riviera logos as well as some stock photos of the 1963 Riviera to help in my project). Naturally, GM could not grant blanket permission to use the Riviera logo but other enthusiasts could follow this same approach to get permission for their own personal plates. I received an official (albeit somewhat generic) "No Objection to Use" form which means I can safely post my final results: [ATTACH=CONFIG]290137[/ATTACH] The end result isn't an exact replication of the original but it was close enough for my purposes (and my son was thrilled). If desired, the design could be tweaked to more closely match the original. The only exception is the font used for the actual name. We could not find an exact match to the font used on the original plate so we picked a "fancy cursive" font that was as close as possible. If anyone else is interested in a reproduction "Built Expressly For" plate, let me know and I can put you in touch with the trophy shop I used. If you are looking for a more exact reproduction, I could drop off my original plate and work with the shop to fine tune the design.
Looks GREAT! & very professional. Please e-mail the instructions to get in touch with your shop for one for myself. ... what was your cost?
  • Like 1

Hey Guys,

Here is a large Riviera logo. I traced it off the Plaque from the picture you sent.[ATTACH=CONFIG]287637[/ATTACH]

Thanks 63 Red Riv! I used your script file here and CAD to produce my own version for my son. I just got it today and I think it looks great.

image_zps0529fb0c.jpg

image_zps8256bd6f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

At the request of several other Riviera owners, I worked with the trophy shop owner to get a more precise reproduction plate (dimensions more accurate with the original). Here's the final result:

post-104161-143142964883_thumb.jpg

If anyone else is interested in a similar plaque, here's what you do:

1) Get permission to use the Riviera logo for your private use. I contacted the GM Heritage Center and they have no problem with people using copyrighted GM material for personal use. You can email Peggy Kelly at margaret.p.kelly@gm.com and request a "No Objection to Use" form. Be sure to include details of what you intend to do and clearly state that this is for personal use.

2) Contact the Trophy House in Burnsville, MN (3140 Highway 13 W., Burnsville, MN 55337). I worked with J. Kevin Kennedy at info@trophyhouseonline.com. If you mention the Riviera plate, he'll know what you are talking about. He will need the name you want on the plate and he'll send you an electronic proof to verify before producing anything. Cost will be around $25 plus shipping.

I'm very happy with the reproduction plate and I hope this helps a few others get their own custom plaque. If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to try and help.

post-104161-14314296488_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The reproduction looks really good. Is your name etched in the metal or printed on the surface? Many moons ago, someone in the ROA was making these available but you had to do your own engraving. The problem with that was that the metal from which their repos were made were not solid and the etching looked funny. Your name looks too good to be etched, but it really does look good.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
I got my name plate in the mail and put it on my console.....it looks great! Thanks

for getting these plates tooled up!

I received mine last week and installed it over the weekend. Looks Great! Thanks for getting this endeavor started, I really appreciate your foresight to make this happen. The Trophy House was also very professional to deal with.

Guest CARS, Inc.

Ed,

You are correct. Anytime a logo is used and there is money involved, they want their royalty payment. We make regular payments to GM as a part of an ongoing program. And as explained above, GM allows personal use on a case by case basis. It is always best to ask first. It is not nice to mess with mother nature!

Here are some pics of my new reproduction plate on my console. I have been doing some

research and have determined that the 65 Riviera dash plates were different than the 63 plates. The 63 plates say "built expressly for" while

the 65 plates should say "custom built for". Check out the picture on page one

of this thread of the plate with the name "Violet Frankenstein". Note in the picture that the Violet Frankenstein plate is installed crooked and a little low on the console. This was obviously sloppily installed by either the dealership or the original owner, not by the factory. That plate is on a 1965 Riviera and says "custom built for". Other than the

wording the plates are the same for all three years. Please note the placement of the plate in my pictures. This is exactly where the plate

was installed by the factory on special order 1965 Rivieras and is the correct

exact placement. I have not been able to determine yet which wording

was used on the 1964 plates.....perhaps someone with an original plate

on a 1964 model can chime in.

post-102001-143142985256_thumb.jpg

post-102001-143142985261_thumb.jpg

post-102001-143142985266_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Here are some pics of my new reproduction plate on my console. I have been doing some

research and have determined that the 65 Riviera dash plates were different from the 63 plates. The 63 plates were satin silver, while the 65 plates were a light satin gold color. Also in 65 the wording was changed to read "custom built for" instead of "built expressly for". My Dad's 65 had the dash plate on it from the factory as it was a special order car. If your car was bought off the lot, you had to order the plate and the dealer would put it on for you when it came in. As far as my repro is concerned, I

like the satin silver background better as it matches the silver around the shift lever. There is nothing

gold on the inside of my car so the silver looks better. The original gold in my dad's car looked very

nice with the saddle interior. Any of you wanting to order one for your 65 might want to have them

change the wording to "custom built for" and have them use a light gold tinted metal for the background if your are a stickler for correctness. I am happy with my plate and will go with it as is.

That looks great! I agree the silver does look better with your interior. I can't wait to get the Riv out this spring and add Adam's plate to it. Thanks for the pics Seafoam!!!

Tim

I found an obituary on Violet Frankenstein....she was the only woman by that name in the U.S. She lived in Phoenix Arizona and was the wife of Jerry Frankenstein. She passed away in 2007

at the age of 80. She was 38 years old when she bought her new 1965 Riviera....RIP.

• 2 years later...

Interested in getting a plate with my name engraved on it for 1963.

Has anyone else had these done by Trophy House on line or any other source they would recommend.?

Cheers

Rodney